Filtration Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blrrobinson21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I am set up with a fowlr tank but eventually Im wanting to go with a reef setup. Here's my question. I dont have room for a sump or refugeum. I know both of these items are great to have but can I set up a reef tank without them? Ive got a 110 long tank and will have about 100lbs of lr before I start with corals. Right now im using two hang on the back power filters with carbon in the filters but I dont know how much good they do. What would you filtration experts do if you couldnt do a sump or refugeum?
Thanks in advance.

Certainly have a protein skimmer if you dont already have one. That helps a LOT. Get one that is a bit over sized for your tank eg: 65+ for a 55 gallon tank. Adding a bit more live rock would certainly help as well. As long as you keep up with PWC it should be just fine.

You can keep the HOB filter if you like, just keep an eye on it and make sure your nitrates dont jump up too high. You need to replace or rinse those out when you do PWC. Sump / fuge is ideal, but I dont have one. i'm having a bit of an algae issue, but only from intially using tap ( slowly switching to ro/di). Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate have been stable. I use LR + Protein skimmer + HOB filter.

Really all you need is proper amount of LR and a good skimmer. That`s all I used for many yrs.

I wouldnt bother. HOB is fine since you have it. Use the money you would on the canister and get a decent skimmer :)

Is the tank going to be on a stand? Most of my equipment is under the tank in the stand. A sump and fuge does not have to be giant and take up a room of the house or anything. I have a 20g tall tank that serves as my fuge and a 30g tote from walmart as my "sump". I have another small sump plumbed in that houses my LR rubble for added filtration.

If your tank is going ot be on a stand you will have ample room to do everything you need right under the tank. Personally I would not set up a reef tank without a sump, fuge and an excellent skimmer.

Well my problem is in the way I built my stand. Unfortunately the way I built it was by placing 3 cinder blocks at each end of the table. Im using 5 2*4s running like floor joists spanning 6' framed in on top of the cinder blocks. I decided to put 3 more blocks in the middle to support the center which takes up most of my room under the tank. I can fit a 10 gallon tank under there but not a regular 20. Now that everything is setup I feel like I didnt need the middle support but I wasnt sure at the time. My problem was when we transported the tank, I really wasnt ready for it. I had done some research but not as much as I would of liked, therefore I had no idea about sumps and refugiums. Now im paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom