Filtration for a 75 Gal freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ron

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up a 75 gal aquarium and was wondering about filtration for it. Would 2 HOB aqua clear 110 filters be too much filtration for this aquarium . Between both of them they will be filtering approximately 1000 GPH. The maintenance for the HOB filters is a lot easier then the canisters. IMO.

Well, you must have some old school canisters because the ones I'm running are a breeze to clean. Shut the valves off, unhook, remove the filter basket(s) rinse out sponges and biomedia, put back together and plug in.

Anyway, 2 110's is fine. You can throttle them back slightly as well, and if need be add an intake sponge to further slow to water down.

You wont get 500 gph from each 110 after you add media. More like 400. So 800 gph is a good turnover for that tank.

Hello Ron...

You'll spend about $80.00 a piece for the Hagen filters. And, there's the added cost of the media. I set up my 75 G with dual sponge filters for about $40.00. They work as well and anything else and you never need to buy replacement filter media. You'll need to add a good air pump at $40.00, but that's much less than the Hagen filters. Set up and follow a good water change routine and you're good to go.

B

Hello Ron...

You'll spend about $80.00 a piece for the Hagen filters. And, there's the added cost of the media. I set up my 75 G with dual sponge filters for about $40.00. They work as well and anything else and you never need to buy replacement filter media. You'll need to add a good air pump at $40.00, but that's much less than the Hagen filters. Set up and follow a good water change routine and you're good to go.

B
Thanks : I will use active sponge filters for start up and regular for breeders , but for a show tank IMO they are a little unsightly.

Back
Top Bottom