Filtration for planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damian

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g tank with fluval 305 and aquaclear 70 filters. I heard you shouldn't use carbon. What would be a good replacement for it. Also what are some good filter cartridges for a tank.

There isn't really a replacement for carbon you just don't use it. A lot of people just buy filter media (just the pad) and cut it to fit in their filter.

I have a 55g tank with fluval 305 and aquaclear 70 filters. I heard you shouldn't use carbon. What would be a good replacement for it. Also what are some good filter cartridges for a tank.

I replaced the carbon in my 404 with 100% polyfill...mdoes a great job giving the water a good polish(y).

I took your guys advice. Took the carbon out of my filters earlier. There was some really nasty **** at the bottom of my fluval filter. Replaced it with Bio balls and some pollyfill.

Chemical Medium Replacement

Hello D...

By far the best replacement for chemical "carbon" medium, is to do large, weekly water changes. The basic water change will remove many times the dissolved substances from the water as opposed to carbon.

Polyfiber is a very good filtration medium that can work in place of a cartridge. I use it in my 55 Gs.

B

adammorrill said:
Why is it bad to use carbon in a planted tank?

Its not bad, its actually good, but it only lasts a few weeks before its useless. Thats why people don't use it, and then only put it in when they want to remove tannis, or other stuff that i cant think of at the moment

Its not bad, its actually good, but it only lasts a few weeks before its useless. Thats why people don't use it, and then only put it in when they want to remove tannis, or other stuff that i cant think of at the moment
Oh, ok thanks. I was worried because i have carbon in my filter on my planted tanks and I didn't want it to hurt the plants or anything.

There is a lot information out there saying that carbon takes nutrients from water that plants need. I'm just trying out different things here, because my plants don't look so good.

I took my carbon out too. Thought I read that it can absorb some good nutrients plants need. I added more bioballs in my canister to up my biological filtration. Seems to work too.

Hey Mohican how long did it take to see improvements.

Removing carbon from a planted tank is a good step but it's also about having suitable lights (not letting the bulbs get to old), a consistent water changing regime, and stable routine fertilization.

I've use Purigen in place of carbon for years. Works great in a planted tank. You get the benefits of carbon (clear untinted water) without having to worry about it indiscriminately pulling out the nutrients your plants need. Not necessary.. just a preference.

This is great information! Where do you get the polyfill?
Is it the same stuff used in pillows? Would this work in a sump?

Elpez said:
This is great information! Where do you get the polyfill?
Is it the same stuff used in pillows? Would this work in a sump?

I bought a 20 oz bag at michael's arts and craft store for $5 ... Lasted me a year. Yep aka pillow stuffing.

CorallineAlgae said:
O_O
This is great info. Thanks jcolon.

No problem.

Actually ... I got it for just under $4 ... Forgot to mention I had a discount coupon. BTW, that bag lasted a year while replacing two trays of polyfill in my fluval 404 every two weeks.

I got the prigen as Coralline suggested. I should get by tuesday, let's see what happens. I also got Peat to lower PH. anybody see a problem using these two together?

Back
Top Bottom