Filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just now starting to purchase my equipment for my tank. I recently got the tank which is a 75 gallon glass aquarium. I have the stand and now im just focusing on the filtration unit i want to install. I went to the local pet shop and asked for ideas, they told me to just use liverock as the bio filter and a sump for the mechanical and chemical. I had already began to plan a trickle but from what they told me liverock will do exactly what the bioballs would. I was wondering what kind of filter i should use for my tank. If your suggestions are DIY's please give me tips on the building instructions.

Live rock is the most common filter for SW tanks. A protein skimmer (saw your other post) helps remove some excess crud too.

The key to live rock for filtration is LOTS of circulation, at least 10 x per hour turnover, up to 20 x per hour. You'll probably need 2-3 large powerheads, plus the return from your sump pump to reach the right levels of circulation.

This helps large detris break-up so it can be removed via skimming and the live rock filtration.

Water changes should remove the rest.

Back
Top Bottom