Fin Rot and Small Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a betta going on 3 years old. He's always been very healthy, and always in the same 2.5 gallon tank. Last fall, I decided to add gravel and plant his tank (before he just had some silk plants). That's the only change he's seen, really.

I faithfully change about 3/4 of his water each week, and every time I test, his parameters are great. With a heater in his tank, his water stays between 80 and 82 degrees during the winter. (It's harder to maintain a constant temp in the summer, as the heater tends to OVERheat the water when the house is warmer.)

Last weekend, I noticed his tail fin looked like it had torn, so I've been dosing his water every day this week with Melafix and Pimafix to promote healing and stave off any bugs.

This morning I looked and his fin looks worse.

I'll be dropping by the LFS on the way home from work this afternoon to pick up some Tetracycline and Jungle Fungus Eliminator, as suggested by a couple of trustworthy betta health sites.

But I wondered about this: Is it possible that the gravel and plants were a bad idea in this small tank? I'm wondering if I've just provided a nest for bugs to grow. Should I remove it all and clean his tank and start fresh? Particularly since the Tetracycline will most likely kill off any nitrifying bacteria anyway, this would be the time, since we'll be starting a new cycle anyway. (I will take some filter media and keep it in one of my healthy tanks to put in once the meds are done).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

L

Likely the melafix that is harming the betta. From what I have heard, they are very sensitive to it. It adversely affects their labyrinth organ. This is not directly affecting the fin rot, but the stress it may be causing the fish likely isn't helping.

IMO, the plants and gravel are a great idea. It's a good way to keep the bacteria in place...and just looks better. :wink:

Could it be that the betta is just getting old? 3 years is in the 'getting old' stage for a betta, all depending on the size and age at which you received the fish.

Hi, Devilishturtle!

That's the first I'd heard that about Melafix! I've treated other bettas with it as well, and had read that it was a good first-line treatment for fin injuries in bettas and other "finny" fish.

Anyway, it's obviously not helping this time, so I've discontinued. I happened to have some Bettamax on hand that was still good, so I am dosing with that. I moved the plants and gravel to separate containers, and I'll put some fresh media in one of my healthy tanks to restart the cycle after the treatments are over.

I do think he's getting older, and that may be why he was susceptible to this. I know most fin rot starts with poor water quality, but I've been conscientious about water changes and testing, and his water quality has stayed consistently good. I have to think his resistence is down, so that this injury was more susceptible to infection.

I may need to prepare myself to lose him soon, as he may have been several months old when I got him. He was a PetSmart purchase, and they import from Asia. Their stock tends to be older, as the breeders want to ship them after they're mature to reduce losses.

But hopefully I'll get to keep him awhile yet. He's a nice little guy.

L

I agree with Devilishturtles that Melafix, although an excellent med for other fish, can be harmful to a betta. Do some water changes to remove it.

I'm glad you have a heater. My bettas are in planted 5-gallon tanks. I don't think the finrot was due to your adding the gravel and plants, as long as the plants came from a disease-free tank. I agree with DT also about the age issue. My betta is getting older now and he always had the most beautiful, long fins. Now, although I wouldn't call it finrot, his fins are looking tattered around the edges.

Are you sure it's finrot? (black, stringy edges). My older betta's fins are not black or stringy, just tattered. It is somewhat common for older bettas to get a little tattered.

I have had good luck with the Jungle Fungus Eliminator, although I wouldn't add any meds at this point unless you're sure it's finrot. Just do some extra water changes and make sure the temperature stays stable.

Thanks for the tip on Melafix.

I'm pretty sure it's rot. Problem is, this is a dark blue betta, so it's hard to know if his fins are darker. But his fins are getting more ragged by the day, which to me suggests something isn't right.

The LFS suggested Nitrofurizole (sp) which is in bettamax, so that seems like a good place to start. And I did a complete water change, since I had to remove the plants (bettamax also contains methelyne blue, which turns plants to mush).

L

Back
Top Bottom