Fin rot..... help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I treated my entire tank about 5-6 weeks ago and have just noticed another 2 swordtails with fin rot again!! Any ideas on how i can get rid of it once and for all?

I do 25% water changes every week. Water regularly tested by the trusty aquarium store and has always been fine. Water temp 26-27°C

200L tank with :
2 bolivian rams
1 red tailed shark
1 siamese fighter male
10 neons
2 sailfin mollies
10 platies
6 small swordtails
1 chinese algae eater

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Tank

Hello Pol...

99.9 percent of tank problems are water related. So, if you keep the water pure, your tank will be healthy. I can tell you that small water changes do very little to maintain pure water conditions. You should be changing a least 50 percent every week if you have a large number of fish.

By removing and replacing large amounts of water, there's no time for wastes to build up and stress the fish. Because wastes are removed or diluted to a safe level in all the pure water.

Double the amount you change and do it every week and your fish and plants will be healthy.

B

Hey!!

Thanks for that!!

I didnt actually think i had too many fish for my 200L tank.... do i have too many? The biggest 1 is the sailfin molly who is around 6cm.... the rest are between 2-4cm.

I might give that a go and see if that helps ☺

Buy a medicine called methyelene blue and put the sick ones in that in a ten gallon with some salt.

Hello Pol...

99.9 percent of tank problems are water related. So, if you keep the water pure, your tank will be healthy. I can tell you that small water changes do very little to maintain pure water conditions. You should be changing a least 50 percent every week if you have a large number of fish.

By removing and replacing large amounts of water, there's no time for wastes to build up and stress the fish. Because wastes are removed or diluted to a safe level in all the pure water.

Double the amount you change and do it every week and your fish and plants will be healthy.

B

It's also true that 99.9% of fish live in water. But agreed, if it's fungus then it lives off the waste on/in the substrate so start vacuuming more and clean the filter more, look into some anti fungals like methyelene blue to treat really sick fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry Bradbury didn't mean to come off as a jerk. Just bothers me when people say water water water always water is bad, sure this is true but also people need to read and learn what actually killed their fish, and I don't preach any harmful chemicals, only methyelene blue (they inject this into people) and antibiotics and salt. The only thing tat I use that is harmful is that for parasites, but don't even keep this on hand anymore.

And I would say yes your tank is little bit overstocked Polly. But just make sure they don't fight.

No, no 1 fights or nips each other. Didn't realise i had overstocked the tank considering most are pretty small still and 33 fish in 200L tank makes it look like there is heaps of room.

Here is a photo of the tank.... we built it ourselves.

Attachments

• 1406025933085.jpg
    1406025933085.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom