fin rot/high nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabeatty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I have a 55 gallon with some platties, mollys, swordtails, and a pleco. It was doing very well, but then I had a baby and hadn't vaccummed the tank for a couple months because of being in the hospital and then getting used to my newborn! The fish seemed alright, but then a few days ago I did a small vaccuming (probably only 5% because it was stirring up a lot). The next day I noticed fin rot and lots of fish itching. My nitrates are WAY too high for the first time ever. I just treated with some Melafix and aqarium salt.. I know it's a 7 day process... but now I am wondering if I should have done a large water change before treating? Should I do a large water change and then treat? or wait to do the water change after treatment ends? I am just very worried because the vaccuuming is what made the fish very sick in the first place bc of all the stirring up. I love my fish and don't want them to suffer! Please help!

What test kit are you using? Also what are the trates? More than likely the cause is from bad water quality. If you fix it with water changes and keep it good and clean for awhile it should go away on its own.

Do 15% water changes for 1 week. Then do a LARGE water change. Your fish are now used to the nasty tank water. Too big a water change will kill them. See old tank syndrome. You want to get clean water before treating for any disease first. just do little by little after your little bundle goes to bed. Then you'll see they'll be better.

Back
Top Bottom