Fin rot in my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittany_b415

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,
I'll give a bit of a back story first, I had a 15 gallon tank that was at capacity, it had 6 guppies, 2 African dwarf frogs and 2 Cory catfish. My guppies quickly started spitting out babies so I set up a 5 gallon tank for them and cycled it. It got to the point I have (and currently have) about 60 fry. I quickly bought a 46 gallon tank and broke down my 15. I added substrate, water, plants, decor, and the filter from the 15 to my 46. The filter from my 15 (Aquaclear 30 and sponge filter) running with a biowheel 350 in my new tank. When bagging my fish to acclimate them to their new tank I noticed one of my fancy tailed males has a slit in his tail and a black edging that I hadn't noticed before. I'm to blame because I hadn't done a water change in about 2 weeks because I was getting a new tank. I moved him over to the 5 gallon by himself and started treating with jungle fizz tabs for fungus. Yesterday was day 4 of treatment and I did a 25% water change and added another treatment. He seems really stressed but his appetite is great. Would it be better for him to go into the 46 with the rest of the guppies. The water is pristine in that tank. Very clean. My readings in my 15 gallon was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 30ish nitrate. My 5 gallon is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate and my 46 is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 30ish nitrate. The pH in all is between 6.8-7.2.

This is him in November.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452267870.239831.jpg

This is him today ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452267959.403667.jpg

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fin rot is usually white, it looks like his tail just got torn during the move. Personally i think he's fine

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Fin rot is usually white, it looks like his tail just got torn during the move. Personally i think he's fine

Ok so nothing to worry about with the blackness ?

It should be fine! If you're worried keep an eye in him and good water just in case

Well, i just had a big thing typed out but i accidently closed it out, im tired and so im gonna keep this short and to the point.
Fin rot can be black as well.
The jungle fizz tabs are an excellet medication, you made the right coice (y)
If you would like to keep guppies, lots of guppies, you are gonna need to keep a antibiotic on hand.
Keeping flake food antibioitic is cheaper, goes straight into the fish and works better, and will last you forever, until it expires years from now. Dont go out buying tiny little lipstick bottles of kanamycin or metronidazole that cost 15 dollars and are tiny capsules, when you can get it here. Antibiotic Fish Flake Food
You will need to order 2 pouches at once to get them to ship it to you, but trust me its worth it. I have like 5 pouches of their food.
I would go with the color flakes, the spirula (algae) flake, or the levimasole (de-wormer) flake, as guppies are prone to camallanus worms.
The 3 oz pouches are actually big, and will work great and last a long time.
The Fizz tabs you used are Furan-2, and can and should be combined with kanamycin antibiotic when your fish get bacterial problems like this, tho its not necessary for simple tail rot on a male, the fizz tabs (furan2) will work for this, or even nothing at all often times males tails just rot and 9 times out of 10 they are fine without males. When you see body patches (bacteria not fungus) or tail rot on a female, then you would use the kanamycin food + the furan tabs together.
The tabs are a good choice, they are Good bacteria, plant, and catfish safe, and work well for minor wounds on a fish that get infected.

Well, i just had a big thing typed out but i accidently closed it out, im tired and so im gonna keep this short and to the point.
Fin rot can be black as well.
The jungle fizz tabs are an excellet medication, you made the right coice (y)
If you would like to keep guppies, lots of guppies, you are gonna need to keep a antibiotic on hand.
Keeping flake food antibioitic is cheaper, goes straight into the fish and works better, and will last you forever, until it expires years from now. Dont go out buying tiny little lipstick bottles of kanamycin or metronidazole that cost 15 dollars and are tiny capsules, when you can get it here. Antibiotic Fish Flake Food
You will need to order 2 pouches at once to get them to ship it to you, but trust me its worth it. I have like 5 pouches of their food.
I would go with the color flakes, the spirula (algae) flake, or the levimasole (de-wormer) flake, as guppies are prone to camallanus worms.
The 3 oz pouches are actually big, and will work great and last a long time.
The Fizz tabs you used are Furan-2, and can and should be combined with kanamycin antibiotic when your fish get bacterial problems like this, tho its not necessary for simple tail rot on a male, the fizz tabs (furan2) will work for this, or even nothing at all often times males tails just rot and 9 times out of 10 they are fine without males. When you see body patches (bacteria not fungus) or tail rot on a female, then you would use the kanamycin food + the furan tabs together.
The tabs are a good choice, they are Good bacteria, plant, and catfish safe, and work well for minor wounds on a fish that get infected.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into getting some of that flake food. I think I'll definitely keep guppies as I'm a beginner in this and they're easy. I'll be rehoming my fry once they're big enough. I might keep a few but am worried about inbreeding. But thanks so much for the help! I'm gonna go check out the antibiotic food now and hope they ship to Canada !

heres another pretty good word of advice.
If you dont want to inbreed, but keep 2 or 3 pure strains, but dont have the space, you can do it in only 4 tanks.
Do it like this, not many people realize this.....but the pros know it. Instead of having a bunch of bros sis and so forth breeding,
Keep 4 ten gallon tanks. Go get some of the variety of fish you like from the petstore, and breed one male to 3 females (actually like 3 to 8 or so because females are cheap and also important) i dont care if you need to hit every pet store in town, just get the 2 or 3 varieties you want males and females many more females than males 2 or 3 colors. Put them in the tanks one color per tank. After the tanks are cycled (PWC every day until it is) then you can just keep like this
Male tank. your favorite 3 colors of males
Female tank Your favorite 3 colors of females (already pregant from the month you kept them in the ten gallon tanks with the males of same color)
Fry tank. Keep this one bare bottom, as your gonna keep it warm and feed a ton, this will mean a huge bioload
Grow out tank Put your bigger fry in here until you can determine what sex, and what strain of guppy they are, then put them in the coorisponding same sex tank.
Sell the 4 or 5 month aldults off (they are purebreed so dont let them go for too cheap!)
If you want put one male or female back to inbreed a bit, no worries they can tolerate it to a certain extent.
when you want/need fresh blood or moreover to replace guppies that die, you can ALWAYS go back to the petstore to get the same fish again.
Bascially, if you were to keep 3 strains of guppies pure, most people would reccomend 12 tanks. You dont need to do that however if you use the method ive shown you.

^^^ This is indeed opinion and not what many "PROS" do at all. So its untrue. Not horrible, but not nearly professional. He also can not at all tell you they are pure anything as he doesnt even know what youd be buying. Secondly no "PRO" buys his stock at multiple LFS. Because most lfs have no idea if that guppy is pure or not. Third LFS stock is generally pre hit by who knows what male. This is all wrong info.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please help guide and shape new minds in this hobby correctly... Please.

^^^ This is indeed opinion and not what many "PROS" do at all. So its untrue. Not horrible, but not nearly professional. He also can not at all tell you they are pure anything as he doesnt even know what youd be buying. Secondly no "PRO" buys his stock at multiple LFS. Because most lfs have no idea if that guppy is pure or not. Third LFS stock is generally pre hit by who knows what male. This is all wrong info.

Okay excuse me i did not mean pros, i mean "veterns" people that have been doing it for 20+ years but are not so crazy as to have 30 tanks.
I gave this person alot of good advice, please dont discredit it so easily. This person is still new to the hobby.

I wasn't trying to "discredit" you. But I'm a veteran.... And that's not how i do it. So please don't speak for large groups of people whom you don't know everyone. Sorry OP, breed gups how you like. But telling someone to go to lfs's and pick out types. Then blanket statement them as pure is wrong. I'm sorry you don't like it matt. I don't want to fight. Its what you and a few others feel is OK... Not right. And you even told me you only do it this way because you don't have room to do more tanks. You can breed guppies with 1 tank... But not generationally and not correctly. Im sorry your having tough times. But dont act like Im wrong. IFGA stands for the international fancy guppy association... You obviiously hate the ways they have laid out for proper guppy breeding. But the OP should atleast know what their standards are for infirmative reason. Next thing you tell me the ACF has no reason certifying chefs.. But guess what im still an ACF certified executive chef.

That's the last ill say because in many threads and this one your looking for a fight if someone disputes you. Yes there are severalways to skin a cat. But some are more right. And your saying your is it.

I am not looking for a fight eighter! But.....
I took my time to give this person advice on an easier way to do it!
You cannot expect someone who is new to the hobby to suddenly go to "IFGA" standards and keep 12 tanks or something. I am simply trying to give out tips for an easier way. Not everyone has space or time to keep so many tanks for guppies. Why not do it an easier way? I think my advice is pretty sound and very helpul. The OP thanked me, not you.
I did nothing but spew out helpful tips because i was in a good mood last night. And now here today you are targeting me by saying dont listen to this guy.
Now we are both way off topic and our posts will probably be deleted.

There are reasons its done that way. You must be right... The IFGA has no clue. Yeah thanks for feedback not fir the correct info.... And being new means they need to hear more accurate info. Im just offering advice. Which i why i stated yours was opinion. As is mine. But you are wrong blanket statementing that a blind lfs purchase that you wont be there for will be pure strain because they didit your way. Man, that's just awful info.... I said yours was opinion not wrong. Mine is opinion man. Chill out. Mines just backed up with more facts.

I have to agree that telling someone to get "pure" strains from the LFS is just bad advice. And calling that "pro" as well. Bad form to say that to someone who doesn't know better, at least express that there is a more accepted way of doing it and then explain why you do it different, y'know?

I have to agree that telling someone to get "pure" strains from the LFS is just bad advice. And calling that "pro" as well. Bad form to say that to someone who doesn't know better, at least express that there is a more accepted way of doing it and then explain why you do it different, y'know?
I can get "pure" strains of males and females, that match, from any local petco or petsmart, thats how they do it nowadays, they keep them seperate, and im sure it being a nationwide chain store, many if not all other stores do it this way with guppies now too.
So your trying to say Pro breeders in the IFGA dont mix males and females of diffrent strains in same sex tanks sometimes? WRONG i know several that do, especially when they run out of space.
Can we please get back on topic before we all get banned?
I am not trying to fight or argue, but i am gonna stand up for myself and my arguments. You are doing nothing but trying to scare me with these ridicolous arguments and personal attacks, because i think you know im right and cant stand it..... while mine still make sense, nothing you have argued made one bit of sense to me.

Yeah .... To you.your right us and an entire international association is wrong. Do you feel better. Your not worth it. Besides i never said wrong. I said opinion. Read the words.

Sorry OP im out of here as this guy is looking for trouble and i am not. Hope you do well with your fin rot.

Back
Top Bottom