Fin rot or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfidrX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi to all,
I am very new to fishkeeping & have a male crowntail betta (Shadow) for almost 3 weeks now. He was looking good & doing great when I first introduced him to my 40 litres (10 gal) tank until about a week ago.
Although, Shadow's behaviour is still as active as when I first got him. Fins are not clamped, always look relaxed when he floats around. Eats readily every time I feed him. I started noticing some black spots on his pectoral fins. His tail & pelvic fin tip is becoming transparent as well.
Assuming that it is fin rot, I started a treatment with aquarium salt in my display tank. Doing 50% water change everyday. However, I do not see any changes to Shadow's condition & it has already been a week.
I still have 3 more days of aquarium salt treatment to continue. However, I seek any kind advise if I should start using medications instead although it is something that I am reluctant to do but will if left with no other choice.
A little bit more info, my tank went through a fishless cycle. Only introduced Shadow after the cycle was complete. My water parameters are as such, last check was a week ago. Will be checking again today :-
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30ppm
PH: 6.5
Additional info:-
Temp: 27.5-28°C
Filtration rate: 187 litres/hr (cycle the tank approx. 5 times per hour)
I hope the info I have given is helpful & that someone could shed some light on what is going on.
Attached is a picture that show his right pectoral fins. Hopefully it is clear enough to see the black spots that I mentioned. Black spots are present on both pectoral fins.
I apologize for the long post & thank you in advance for any advice given.

Attachments

• Right fin with black spots.jpg
    Right fin with black spots.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 51
Hi again,

Just an update on Shadow. Checked the water before & after water change today. Readings are still the same as last week. At the same time I noticed one black spot at the tip of his tail fin.

If the problem is black spot disease, it's a parasitic infection that probably won't kill your betta
And eventually clear up as long as the water is kept clean. If it's fin rot you might use Melafix, a non toxic fish tank antiseptic. You can find it at most fish stores, even wal-Mart. Hope this helps.

If the problem is black spot disease, it's a parasitic infection that probably won't kill your betta
And eventually clear up as long as the water is kept clean. If it's fin rot you might use Melafix, a non toxic fish tank antiseptic. You can find it at most fish stores, even wal-Mart. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the info. Much appreciated. Will get Melafix on the way home tomorrow from the LFS in my area.

Just a few question though. Do i stop the aquarium salt when starting with Melafix or i can use them together? If i can stop the aquarium salt treatment should i also stop the daily 50% water change & only do a weekly 25%? Kinda feel i'm adding stress to the little guy with the daily water changes.

IMO just continue the salt treatment, since you are nearly done with it. I doubt the salt will affect the melafix, but read the directions to be sure. Once your salt treatment is complete, go back to your once a week 25% WC's.

IMO just continue the salt treatment, since you are nearly done with it. I doubt the salt will affect the melafix, but read the directions to be sure. Once your salt treatment is complete, go back to your once a week 25% WC's.
Got it! Thank you so much for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom