Fin rot treatment??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dwarf gourami has fin rot. I've been doing 25% water changes every day for a week and adding Melafix after. He's not getting any better. Would adding primafix as well help? If not, is there any other meds I can use that don't harm plants or other fish? My friend is using my hospital tank, so I'm kinda screwed I guess (can I say that here?) please help!

George9 said:
Ammonia-0 nitrate-2 nitrite-0

How did u get such and specific nitrate figure. Do u mean 20? However even if it is 20, your water parameters seems fine. Could it be that its fins are getting nipped by the others? Can u post a picture?

Sorry! The nitrate is 5.0. My iPod keyboard is hard to type on!

The pics are really hard to see, but, if you look at the bottom left the bottom fin is torn and its brown around the tear. But, its hard to see because of the black background.
2h4f2pc.jpg

Ahh! I just found a scratch in the glass in the pic! :(

He hasn't been getting worse, just not better. I've been doing 25% pwc everyday followed by Melafix

George9 said:
He hasn't been getting worse, just not better. I've been doing 25% pwc everyday followed by Melafix

Hmm. I don't think u should be getting too paranoid. I'm sure it will come around and heal itself overtime.

When should the brown start to go away? Nothing has been happening. I stopped with the melafix last week and I'm just doing PWC's every day.

I think he has internal parasites now. The poop has been white stringy and long. I heArd this might be parasites. How should I treat them?

I have never dealt with internal parasites, but there are medicated foods and regular medications that can be added to the water. Like I said I have no experince with internal parasites, these are just two options if found.

George, believe it or not, your DG's fin looks fine and not nearly as bad as I had imagined. Given how concerned you have been, (not to mention how many threads you've started about him lol - teasing!), I imagined it was way worse.

Seriously, that doesn't look that bad at all and I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Getting the parasites, (if that's what he has), under control should be your number one priority at this point.

Back
Top Bottom