fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lkenn80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a yellow guppy that last week its tail got a streak of orange in it. Now in that orange streak its missing some of its tail. The fish is active and eating fine. All water parameters are fine. None of the other fish are attacking it. Its in a 90 gal peaceful community.

What could this be?

Ive tried taking pictures of it but haven't been successful. Hes moving around to much. I will keep trying.

Still no success with getting a pic. Does this sound like it could be fin rot or something?

lkenn80 said:
Still no success with getting a pic. Does this sound like it could be fin rot or something?

Yes it's definitely possible that it's fin rot! Is there overcrowding in your tank? What are your water parameters? When is the last time you did a pwc?

Parameters are all good. I do 30 to 40% weekly water changes. Tanks not overcrowded and filtration is good. None of the other fish have anything wrong. Its just this one.

lkenn80 said:
Parameters are all good. I do 30 to 40% weekly water changes. Tanks not overcrowded and filtration is good. None of the other fish have anything wrong. Its just this one.

Are you sure there are no fin nippers in the tank that might have nipped it off? Is the fish acting strangely? What are his tank mates? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to determine what could cause this. :)

The fish is very active and eating good. Nothing unusual. Tank mates are mollies, serpa, black skirt, and neon tetras, and a pair of Bolivian rams.

I haven't noticed any nipping and they have all been together for several months without problems.

It could have ick or it could have been nibbled on by another fish.

It could have ick or it could have been nibbled on by another fish.

I highly doubt its ick. If its just a small piece missing, I'd probably say he was just nibbled on by someone else. If he was a recent addition, an already established fish could have picked on him a bit.

I highly doubt it is ich as well. Could be possible fin rot or a fish could have nipped it. It sounds like it wouldn't be a new addition if they have been together for several months although your fish might be maturing and need different territories. Maybe the rams, what was the fish with nip(rot) on it?

How big is the tank. I also just read it was a guppy so that answers my question.

Yeah I don't think it's ich, unless it has little white dots on it. I'm wondering if it could be the black skirt tetras, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard they can be fin nippers. Just because you don't see him being picked on doesn't mean that it not happening they could do it when the lights are off etc. This can be hard to catch them in the act unless you have a video cam!!

Also sometimes other fish will pick on the one who's sick or has something wrong with it! I have observed this many times in my tanks and sure enough the fish they continually pick on ends up belly up!! Even though I never saw any visual evidence there was anything wrong with them!

I'm sure its not ich. There hasn't been an new additions in months, and there is no evidence of ich at all. It must be nipping. I will watch it close and if I need to move them to a different tank I can do so.

Thanks a bunch guys!!!

Tigroscr said:
Yeah I don't think it's ich, unless it has little white dots on it. I'm wondering if it could be the black skirt tetras, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard they can be fin nippers. Just because you don't see him being picked on doesn't mean that it not happening they could do it when the lights are off etc. This can be hard to catch them in the act unless you have a video cam!!

You can't always tell ich from just white spots in my one tank nobody had spots on them other then a Cory which had it two days into treatment and it was only one spot. Ich can attach to the gills making it hard for oxygen exchange to take place. Causing the fish to show other symptoms.

How many blackskirts do you have? Also don't rule out the rams!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom