Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed my platies are acting a little strange the last 24 hours. I had done my water change yesterday afternoon and they've been acting strange since.

I actually lost a couple rasbora and I think I perhaps shocked them during the change. 1 of my buckets of water was off on temp and I did realize how much until it was too late. It was noticeably colder than the others. I'm not sure how it happened:(.. The rasbora like to swim in the water stream when I change water so they would most likely have been blasted with it. They were swimming near the top and not really acting normal. No visible signs of problem. Just off. My onyl idea was shock because they were fine before and acting off after.

Anyways. My platies were acting a little off after as well. Hiding a lot. Still eating but not their usual social selves. I figured perhaps it was just a bit of stress from my temp screw up. Looking at them this afternoon I've notice a couple aren't looking right. At first I thought I was seeing things but there is def a change in their tail fins. The outer edge is a little white looking.. really it looks clear more than white. My males tail is a bit jagged with a small tear and 2 of the females just don't have their smooth round look. You would miss it if you weren't used to how they look but there is def a jagged edge to it. Their scales look fine.

They are hanging out near the bottom or the top around the heater/filter. No gasping. Fin rot is the only thing I can think of.. Does it usually come on so fast? My other fish are showing no off signs. Neons, angel and sunset gourami are fine.

I'm just not sure if the rasbora and platy are just a nasty coincidence or are somehow related.. The rasbora that died all looked 100% fine. They were swimming a little off, nose pointed upwards but not all over wobbly. There is no similarity really in the two fish and what is going on but I dunno.. strange it's so close together.

My water quality is usually fine. I tested today and everything is where it should be. Ammo and nitrite 0 and nitrate is 5-10. That's not very reliable though as I did the water change yesterday and hadn't tested in a couple weeks.

I have
1 sunset gourami
5 neons
1 rasbora - was 5. Will either rehome this one or build up his school when I'm sure my tank is healthy.
4 platy(3 F 1 M)
1 2 inch angel

It's a 30 gallon tank and I'm running a penguin 150 biowheel and an aquatech 20-40 gallon filter.

I'm hesitant to treat for fin rot if it isn't fin rot but there is def something off and I'm not sure what to do.

The only recent change to the tank other than the water change is I've started using PRIME 2-3 weeks ago instead of my old conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom