Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearly

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-2365271521.jpg

Not sure if you guys can see the picture. His dorsal fin looks really ragged been watching it for few days. Water parameters are perfect, been on top of wc's, his behavior is normal, eating good. Tank temp 78-80 F, he is one of mine who had velvet several weeks ago, then underwent minicycle, now this! Never had fish with fin rot, no black or red or white on him, just seem like his gorgeous fin is getting "lacy" looking. Help? Please?:)

It looks like it is fin rot. My betta in my avatar pic got fin rot shortly after I took the pic and I ended up treating him with Maracyn. Most cases of fin rot go away when the water quality is improved. I would start with daily water changes and see if that helps, if his condition continues to worsen then I would probably look at using medication.

It looks like it is fin rot. My betta in my avatar pic got fin rot shortly after I took the pic and I ended up treating him with Maracyn. Most cases of fin rot go away when the water quality is improved. I would start with daily water changes and see if that helps, if his condition continues to worsen then I would probably look at using medication.

Been doing twice daily wc's till no detectable ammonia, but you've got good point on water quality. Did like 40-50% PWC's last night will do another tomorrow etc and see where it gets us. This little guy had STUNNING fins! Now they raggedy looking and I hare t be like that Munchhousen syndrome person but I do worry for my fish. Have had cat's/dogs for long time so know how to help them. Fish are still pretty new and I have to rely on you guys to help me out:) thank you for all of your replies:)

Yeah, its sad when the absolutely gorgeous bettas get fin rot :( but give it a month and they will regrow

Yeah, its sad when the absolutely gorgeous bettas get fin rot :( but give it a month and they will regrow

How about med use? Other then wc's anything you've done in past that's worked?

Meant, salt, or meds? Temp of tank is 78-80f is that high enough?

How about med use? Other then wc's anything you've done in past that's worked?

Never mind! Read your other post again. So Maracyn? How long should I wait plus daily wc's before I go for the Maracyn?

Never mind! Read your other post again. So Maracyn? How long should I wait plus daily wc's before I go for the Maracyn?

Maracyn or any other medication isn't needed for fin rot, the best treatment is daily water changes with a nitrate concentration below 5ppm and save the salt for french fries. The deterioration of the fin is simply due to the small mini cycle the tank went through.

Maracyn or any other medication isn't needed for fin rot, the best treatment is daily water changes with a nitrate concentration below 5ppm and save the salt for french fries. The deterioration of the fin is simply due to the small mini cycle the tank went through.

Yep, I would avoid medicating unless the fin rot has progressed to dangerous levels.

Yes water changes will help let me no I wc don't work I try it for a week and if still the same MESAGE me anytime love to help peeps new to the hobby
;-);-)

Yes! I am a firm believer in wc's! I did twice a day and back to back wc's on my minicycling tanks scared out of my mind for my fish. Stopped doing them when parameters settled down and that's when I started noticing his dorsal fin beginning to "lace". Thought I was imagining it at first. Glad I somehow figured out how to post picture to get this diagnosis confirmed. It's just scary seeing the negative changes in living things:( all those diseases I've only read about and my first goal is "do no harm" like in human medicine. I appreciate you guys willing to help and your expertly advice. Thank you

I've only used water changes to treat fin rot. Just keep the water as pristine as possible and the fins will be able to heal. I would only resort to meds if it was progressing very quickly or starting to affect the body. Also, avoid Melafix and Pimafix for treating bettas. Labyrinth fish can react badly to them as the tree oils they are made from can mess with their labyrinth organ. You can use them at a reduced dose, but personally I would just rather avoid them altogether.

Back
Top Bottom