fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sundown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone,
i have got a veil tail betta and it is suffering from tail rot....
i dont want my betta to die.... i am in dire need of help.....
i have kept it in a 10 gallon tank..... i have tried salt, tetracycline and amoxiscyline treatment but nothing worked i have done two full water changes in two days nothing works..... i have a technical disadvantage that i dont get ammonia testing equipment in any nearby place. plez help i dont want my betta to die....... my betta is still active and eating food properly.... my tank temperature is 26 degree celcius...... i dont know what to do i am out of options........ plezzzz plezzzz plezzzz plezzzz plezzzzzz pleeezzzzzzzz pleeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz heeeellllppppppp.....!!!!!!!!

How long have you been treating this? I would treat by doing full water changes with aq salt and warm water for ten days, or the medicine with warm water for 7. Then lay off the treatment for 3 days continuing with the warm water changes, and if necessary, repeat that. It may take a while, but it should help. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Try to keep it low current. Bettas' fins grow better in low current. If you're doing the meds, remove the carbon. I don't think you need to do that for a salt treatment. I don't know if you have live plants, but I highly recommend having at least one. I recommend anubias nana, when I was helping my friends betta with fin rot, he really perked up with the plant.

I dont have ny thing but a small piece of driftwood in my aquarium..... i removed all the decor suspecting them to b the cause of aggression of finrot

Sent from my Panasonic P11 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have got a15 w trickling filter.. and its power is not adjustable....... i doubt that my aquarium is cycled after all that medicines i have added to the aquarium..... ... i have resorted to wrapping the fish feed in medicine n feeding it to the betta is that ok??/

I wouldn't think so. Do you have any substrate? Filtration? Heater? As I said, I would add a plant. If you had one, and don't want to put it back in, or if you didn't have one before, it is a worthwhile investment to go buy one. Also, could you post a picture of the betta? Maybe a before and after picture.

I don't know anything about medication, when my friend's betta had fin rot, I just added a plant and did daily large pwcs without salt. Just raise the temperature a little bit, and maybe add some salt. A picture would be a good reference, but in most cases, I would consider meds to be something of a last resort, but that is totally up to you. As I said though, I don't know much about them. I think that it's meant for direct contact with the fin tissue, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have been treating my fish for more than a week.... its last resort to me..... half of my fish's tail fin has decayed....!!!

Oh. Ok. I didn't know that you had been treating for so long. For some reason I had assumed that you had just started treatment. So yeah, I would continue with the meds in 7 day intervals with 2-3 day breaks between each week of treatment.

Also, I would add the meds to the water instead of to the fish food. My understanding is that the meds help by direct contact to the fin tissue rather than by ingestion. Someone else will need to check me on that.

What temperature is your tank at? Could you post a picture of your fish?

Best of luck,

-Laird

My tank is at 78.8 degree.... i cannot post a pic cuz i dont have a camera n phone camera isnt good enough..... but yes one thing that could help to make a guess is that half of its tail fin has decayed but till now rest of the fins are fine....!!!

Ok. I might suggest raising the temp a bit if you can. As I said, when doing water changes, use warmer water. I'd say, try to keep the temp at around 82.

Sometimes the treatments take a little time, so just continue with the treatments in those 7 day intervals I mentioned earlier. If it continues to worsen after another 5 days, ramp up the dosage a little bit. Continue this until it stops progressing, then maintain that dosage until it starts reversing itself. It may take some time. Also, what are the water parameters?

I mentioned it earlier that i dont get a ammonia test kit at the place i live and nither do the pet store keep it..... but as i ve don complete gravel cleaning, aquarium cleaning, n filter cleaning.... i guess it should b around 0 or atleast less than 1 (sorry i know i have been irritating but m worried, n i am limited by the availability of resources)

For a week.... but i have done complete water changes for two days continuously n and also i cleaned the gravel n filter...!!

Oh. So it's a fairly new tank. Have you had the betta in another tank before, or did you just get him recently. It is possible that he had fin rot before you got him.

Back
Top Bottom