Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any ideas on getting rid of fin rot. Ive been treating 2 of my neons for it for about 3 weeks now. Ive been using pirmafix and also melafix on alternating weeks. 3 weeks ago noticed 1 of the neon tetras had it but now its up to 4 of them. I set up an hospital tank 2 months ago but that tank is being stubburn(neglect just to grow plants).

Main tank with the issue is 60 gl, ph 7.8, ammonia (always .25 or under), nitrate 0, nitrite 0 with api kit

Any ideas would be appreciated til i get the second under control after vacation

Okay for one neon tetras don't do well in softer pH water they thrive best in neutral or slightly acidic pH 6.5-7.0 but can be okay up to 7.5, not saying this is your cause, pimafix and melafix are antibacterial treatments but in your case I would say you need to do a 30% water change to get those meds out and treat with a gram negative antibiotic tetracycline, myracin etc etc.

Sorry for the delayed reponse. I was out of cell coverage on vacation(done with sprint for sure now). On vacation din rot stayed the same and left an auto feeder on with someone checking on them. They were way overfed but a good learning experience. So what stronger meds are recommended it loooks like my quarantine tank is cycled (10 gallon), curious of what stronger meds to put in it and should i still treat the main tank

Back
Top Bottom