Final fish (for now?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
The last group of additions finally came in, I ordered 7 and got 11 mix of Electric BlueBlue marble pearl skins, blue Pinoys and blue ghosts! Can’t wait for them to to get out of quarantine and move into the 110, then grow up to hopefully be beautiful and successful angel fishies IMG_0808.jpg IMG_0802.jpgIMG_0806.jpg

After a week and change in quarantine we moved to the big tank! Everyone is getting along great and they are munching away at the leaves, so far only 1 loss from shipping IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpg

Soo i have no idea what happened but i had gone for two days on thanksgiving and had a friend feed everyone for the two days i was gone, and didn't mention anything to me but when i got back today every single angel except 1 was missing from the tank.....

Everyone else looks fine and no bodies, any ideas?

Soo i have no idea what happened but i had gone for two days on thanksgiving and had a friend feed everyone for the two days i was gone, and didn't mention anything to me but when i got back today every single angel except 1 was missing from the tank.....

Everyone else looks fine and no bodies, any ideas?
That's weird! Did your friend take them. Or maybe they died and something ate them.

So you have one out of ten angels now?
I say look around tank and in filter.If they died the filter may have got them.
They may have jumped as some young fish are not familiar with 'activity' around tank. Although I think that is not the issue.Have you tested your water?

I checked the water then did a huge water change so i could check the plants, then i checked both of my canisters i just dont see how they ate 8 angels in two days and the one thats left looks great, no nips or fin damage

My friend is the older couple that live next door. I have had this tank for a while and the loach in it for over two years and have never seen him be aggressive. I’m just assuming he was hungry and the 8 angles were on his bad side

My friend is the older couple that live next door. I have had this tank for a while and the loach in it for over two years and have never seen him be aggressive. I’m just assuming he was hungry and the 8 angles were on his bad side
Ohhh, Maybe! they are new to the tank with him. That makes sense. Didn't know what else you had.

Is 8 fish in two days a thing with a loach? Seems like a lot of food

Small Angelfish are fragile by nature. There is not much to them so it is definitely plausable to me that your fish died and were eaten by the loaches and tetras leaving little for you to find. As for why your fish died, that could have been from a variety of reasons. First on my mind is that you did not quarantine long enough, especially for a small fish. Other things include but are not limited to a bad mix of fish sizes, stress from the move, and improper acclimation. At this point unfortunately, there is no way to know if any of these were the cause.
This is a passage from a TFH article about Quarantining
How Long Is Long Enough?
How long it takes for this to happen, though, can depend on a number of factors, including the species of fish, the pathogen, and the water conditions both are living in. For instance, at temperature of 75° to 79°F, the life cycle of the parasite that causes ich is about 48 hours, while at 60°F, it can take nearly a week to complete.

And that’s where quarantine starts to get complicated. If every pathogen has its own life cycle, and the life cycle is often dependent on water conditions such as temperature, then how do you know how long of a quarantine is long enough? Is two weeks adequate, as some fishkeepers insist? Or three weeks? A month? Six weeks?

“There is little scientific evidence on what is the ‘ideal’ period,” admits Dr. Edward Noga, author of the textbook Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment (Blackwell Publishing, 2000) and a professor of aquatic medicine at North Carolina State University’s veterinary college. “In general, a three- to four-week quarantine period is considered good, but [it] depends upon the particular pathogens that pose a risk to the population.”

Miller-Morgan said he knows some koi hobbyists who quarantine a new fish for a full year before adding it to a pond with established stock—“They don’t feel comfortable until they put it through a year of temperature fluctuations,” he explained—but in general he thinks a month is a reasonable amount of time to isolate new arrivals.

“Quarantine isn’t just to prevent disease from getting into the system,” he said. “It also lets the fish acclimate to new surroundings, a new system, new food. It gives them a chance to settle down and gives their immune system a chance to recuperate [from the stress of transport].”

And by the way, while most of us tend to think the point of quarantine is to protect our established stock, the reverse can also be true. The fish in your tank are used to certain pathogens that are already there, and have resistance to them, but a new fish added to that tank might not, Miller-Morgan explained. By isolating it, then adding small quantities of water from the established tank to the quarantine tank over a period of several months, you’ll give the new fish time the opportunity to build up resistance to any pathogens that might be present in that water.

The full article can be found here: Quarantine | Aquarium Basics | Columns | TFH Magazine®

But just to show how seriously quarantine should be taken, this link is from the Angelfish breeding company Angel's Plus: Proper Fish Quarantine

Finally, about 30 years ago, Angels came down with a disease which was nicknamed Angelfsh AIDS because there was no known cure. Entire Angel hatcheries, including my own, were lost to the disease. That disease is still around and any angelfish can be a carrier. Proper quarantine is very important for Angels because of this.

Well that’s depressing, they were eating fine and everything was great until I left them alone sigh.

Back
Top Bottom