"Final" Stocking Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a (hopefully) final plan for stocking my low tech moderately planted 37 gallon. After talking with a guy at the lfs, I decided: 14 black neon tetras (i cycled with 4, added 5 today- getting along great, full color is back), 6 marbled hatchetfish, 12 corydoras habrosus, 2 pearl gouramis, either a couple endlers if i can get them or 11 neons, and maybe in the future some otos and/or freshwater clams and/or assasin snails. My plan is to next week get all 12 corys, they are tiny and should be fine as I'll be doing lots of water changes(plus i have the top fin 40 filter and a 50 gallon sponge filter) the next week add the hatchetfish, the next week 5 more black neons, and two weeks later the neons in two sets. Then about a month later, the pearl gouramis (a pair), and somewhere during that time assassin snails if the lfs gets some in. If I get an algae problem, I will definitely think about the ottos. And clams.... Anyone with experience? I was surprised but they seemed neat, although I doubt I would see them. He said there were over a hundred in the ten gallon, and i saw two.... And then he stuck his hand into the gravel and pulled out six just barely scooping. Sound good?

I have a (hopefully) final plan for stocking my low tech moderately planted 37 gallon. After talking with a guy at the lfs, I decided: 14 black neon tetras (i cycled with 4, added 5 today- getting along great, full color is back), 6 marbled hatchetfish, 12 corydoras habrosus, 2 pearl gouramis, either a couple endlers if i can get them or 11 neons, and maybe in the future some otos and/or freshwater clams and/or assasin snails. My plan is to next week get all 12 corys, they are tiny and should be fine as I'll be doing lots of water changes(plus i have the top fin 40 filter and a 50 gallon sponge filter) the next week add the hatchetfish, the next week 5 more black neons, and two weeks later the neons in two sets. Then about a month later, the pearl gouramis (a pair), and somewhere during that time assassin snails if the lfs gets some in. If I get an algae problem, I will definitely think about the ottos. And clams.... Anyone with experience? I was surprised but they seemed neat, although I doubt I would see them. He said there were over a hundred in the ten gallon, and i saw two.... And then he stuck his hand into the gravel and pulled out six just barely scooping. Sound good?

Clams can be an issue. If they did, you won't know and that can pollute your tank. Read up on them before you add any of those.

Is your tank fully cycled ? C habrosus are awesome. Just make sure things are stable before adding them. Do you have a QT set up ? The habrosus are usually wild caught in my area. QT with some parasite meds or at least QT for observation before adding new fish is always a good idea.

Just a thought. Most LFS don't QT at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lfs is a privately owned, fished based pet store. They quarantine their fish for a week, and if they see a dead or infected fish they close the tank. I ask how long them and other fish in the tank have been in- for example, i have some hatchets on hold that have been there two months. I do have a 10 gallon which I may use as a quarantine tank, but it has gravel and really no cover. My concern with the corys is if i have to keep netting them, maybe the spines will get stuck??? I won't quarantine the marbles, but with the neons I will. I think its interesting how I have tons of small fish and two gouramis anyone else done this?

According to AqAdvisor.com that is WAY too many fish for a 37g even without the otos you mention also adding. Go to aqadvisor.com and enter your criteria and you'll see. I'm told that site is not 100% accurate but the best tool there is out there to gauge stocking.

Good luck!!

According to AqAdvisor.com that is WAY too many fish for a 37g even without the otos you mention also adding. Go to aqadvisor.com and enter your criteria and you'll see. I'm told that site is not 100% accurate but the best tool there is out there to gauge stocking.

Good luck!!

From talking to the guy at the lfs, various forums, and aqadvisor (yes i have used it), id say ill stay away from ottos and base the neons off of how it looks. Aqadvisor puts it around 139% if i remember correctly, but then the guy at the lfs said i had some more room. Im gonna trust the guy with a decade of experience over a fairly new computer program. Aqadvisor is based off of a surface area formula per certain inches of fish with modifications, and says things like angelfish needing more room than a 37 (although i wont be getting any) while many people have and will continue to do it successfully. The serage size of the fish in my tank is 1.2, i should b okay. Plus i have lots of extra filtration even according to aq.

From talking to the guy at the lfs, various forums, and aqadvisor (yes i have used it), id say ill stay away from ottos and base the neons off of how it looks. Aqadvisor puts it around 139% if i remember correctly, but then the guy at the lfs said i had some more room. Im gonna trust the guy with a decade of experience over a fairly new computer program. Aqadvisor is based off of a surface area formula per certain inches of fish with modifications, and says things like angelfish needing more room than a 37 (although i wont be getting any) while many people have and will continue to do it successfully. The serage size of the fish in my tank is 1.2, i should b okay. Plus i have lots of extra filtration even according to aq.

As long as you're up on your water changes and have great filtration, I think you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom