Finally, a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah...in that case, that sounds all right. You can probably up the number of cherry shrimp to 6, but that's a good number for ghost shrimp. They don't like to be crowded.

Cool, thanks for the numbers. Think I am gonna start out slow, make sure my betta doesn't think they are snacks.

Okay, here are some pics of the new tank. Would of had them up sooner but was having some problems with the betta. All is good now. Plants so far are two bamboo, an amazon sword, and some type of fern (not sure what type). I am looking for a taller fuller plant to go behind the house (maybe a cypt) or I was thinking about some floating moss. Any suggestions?

Also I had a question about the shrimp. In the second picture you can see the little openings that are in front of my fillter. Do you think these are big enough for a shrimp to swim into or get stuck in? If so, would putting a sponge in front of there work or something else?

Attachments

• DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0265.jpg
    DSCN0265.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 51
That's awesome! I love the asian theme. Most shrimp are good enough about staying away from filters; however, you have some who like to explore, so I would put a thin sponge over it. I do it over my filter intake, and probably don't need to.

Just a note, unfortunately...the bamboo is not completely aquatic and needs the leaves to be out of the water or it will eventually start to die. Just in case you didn't already know--it looks like you're open top, so it may work. :)

Put the sword behind the house and it WILL fill in, height wise and width wise. It'll get taller than crypts. You can put crypts on the sides, or take a look at some of the stem plants--wisteria and bacopa/moneywort are good plants, as are some of the ludwigia. Just keep them trimmed to the height that you want, since they'll grow continuously. Anubias are good as well--they start out small when you buy them, but it doesn't take long before they start getting height and width on them.

Java moss will float, I think. You can also take a look at Dwarf Water lettuce--looks kind of like mini lily pads. I think that'd look awesome in your tank. :) Riccia/crystalwort is pretty too, it just seems to grow slower than advertised in my tank. Have you seen the Marimo Moss Balls? Those look neat, and would definitely fit the asian theme.

Thanks for the suggestions. That sucks about the bamboo, I really like them.

I like the crystalwort, looks like a good place for the shrimp too.

I have a few amazon swords in another tank that are really huge and full. I will try to move it behind the house and see how it goes. This is all an expierment because I don't know the strength of my light. It is stock LED with the tank and is advertised as good with plants. The sword that is in there now is not looking that great. I am not sure if is the light, no CO2 system in this one, or because I haven't put root tabs down yet.

You could spray paint some pvc green and use it to artifically lengthen the bamboo until it gets tall enough to be planted and poke out of the water.

It takes a bit for plants to adjust to new tanks. Amazon Swords are a nice plant in that they don't require a lot of care. Lower light, they may grow slower, but they still usually grow. I put a root tab under mine with a 15w light and it's growing. Good luck. :)

I love the look! nice Job!

I agree with KaylNeko, put the sword behind the hosue and let it fill out. The shrimp i did have usually didn't go near the filter but a covering of some sort might be a good idea.

Okay my shrimp arrive tommorow. I am getting 5 ghost shrimp and 5 red cherry shrimp. My question is how much waste do these shrimp produce? My new tank is cycling with the betta with some seeded material for an established tank I have. Do you think it would be okay to add all 10 shrimp to the tank? I also got a snail as well. Same question goes for him. So far I am testing 0 on all 3 things.

They don't produce enough waste to register until you get more than ten. Toss'em in.

Thanks for the reply. My fish, shrimp and snail arrived early this morning. This was the first time I have ordered online and was a little nervous. There was some problems with the honey gouramis that I ordered but I have already talked to the company and they are crediting my account. I decided to spilt my shrimp up. I put the ghost shrimp in my ten gallon and the RCS in the new tank. My betta is really curious about the new shrimp but I think they should be able to coexist.
Also thanks for recommending the nerite snail. I got 2 ( again spilt em between my two tanks) and they are pretty active as well. I like when they crawl on the glass.

My Nerite is a cool little guy. For a little snail he does a pretty good job at keeping my 67g pretty clean :)

Back
Top Bottom