Finally going for a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may want to place the ammonia source (shrimp) in a nylon bag or nylon hose. After a while it will breakdown and this way you won't have rotten carcass bit scattered about the tank.
I've often wondered how well using pure ammonia would work in lieu of the shrimp. Much less smellier for sure. You definitely need to use ammonia that is free of dyes, perfumes, surfactants, and detergents if you choose this route. That's what I use for FW cycling.
I've not operated a protein skimmer before but from I gather, the device should generate foam that will rise up the column and a small portion will spill out into the collection cup. The cup should be emptied periodically. And I think there is a desired consistency of foam you want to generate; not too dry and not too wet. I could be wrong. Protein skimmers are not very effective in the fresh water aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I read that just using live rock and letting the live rock release ammonia. Is the best way to get a sustainable food source for the cycle of nitrogen putting a shrimp in works but is only good for a little bit of you want to put more then a little amount of fish in

Not sure if there is a "best way" for this. Pretty sure ammonia is ammonia. You would have to take baseline and follow up ammonia readings to determine how much the live rock is contributing (and not adding additional ammonia, of course).
The shrimp is a reliable method; the liquid ammonia allows you to dose and set a particular ppm level (4, 2, etc) in a reproducible manner, if needed.

Your skimmer is only rated for 30 gallons. That rating is likely for a lightly stocked tank. I would upsize the skimmer.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

http://youtu.be/FFyF7pPpiy8

Watch this video I thought it sounded pretty good and I read up on it

I agree with the part about adding inhabitants slowly. However, IMO the ammonia produced by the live rock will probably not match the amount of ammonia produced by the first inhabitants. So there will always be some catching up to do.
The prawn/liquid ammonia approach provides more ammonia than you will need. But once the BB can handle that amount, then there should be no mini cycle when you start adding fish.

I guess idk that's why they ask you to put 1-1.5lbs of live rock to 1 gallon to make that ammonia higher but I guess I'll do both and I guess I can't go wrong

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461756343.740051.jpgcould I use the ammonia tests and nitrite and nitrate test from this ?

I guess idk that's why they ask you to put 1-1.5lbs of live rock to 1 gallon to make that ammonia higher but I guess I'll do both and I guess I can't go wrong

The reason for that amount of LR is NOT to make the ammonia higher. It is to have enough surface area (both internal and external) for proper processing of the fish wastes (nitrification and denitrification).

View attachment 286457could I use the ammonia tests and nitrite and nitrate test from this ?

I believe the reactants are the same between the FW and SW kits but the color charts differ. You might be able download and print these up. Or purchase them separately.

Hi there
In my opinion The rock ratio to water is very old school these days ,with the equipment that we have to hand like skimmers and better filtering flow pumps Etc, you need nowhere near as much as I believe it's to do with how much flow you have to help the rock you have work efficiently.

And personally for the cycle I would just put the prawns in and let them do their job just drop them in your tank don't worry about taking them out when They start floating around just let the cycle do its job and they will just disintegrate.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461973831.149423.jpg
I turned it off for few days and now it looks like it's doing its job ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461973885.835109.jpg
Tank looks crystal clean just waiting for this week to buy more live rock and a testing kit and a prawn or two

Hi there
Looking at the picture of the skimmer you've got there it looks like the foam are coming up to fast you need to slow it up a bit more so the foam only just reaches the beginning of the neck as the collection cup should look a lot darker in colour, also when first starting up a skimmer can take a few weeks to settle in and also can go a bit crazy with foam overspilling very quickly because of the new water in the tank but should settle within a few days you will to adjust the air dial accordingly until it settles. Also looking at your cup on the top of your skimmer you need to be emptying it once it reaches the top once it reaches the top of the clone piece otherwise the water is just going back down into the skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that looks better it's all about fine tuning it you want the foam to overspill where we slowly or only now and again try adjusting it a little bit more so it's only reaches halfway and then gradually over time it will push itself over the top you should only really be emptying the cup at the most once a day or every 24 hours depending on the amount of livestock you will eventually have, as the darker the waste in the cup The more concentrated it will be. Which is for you to decide.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot you and others been a lot of help so much more to come!

Back
Top Bottom