FINALLY Got a New (60 Gallon Again) Tank Up & Running for my Goldies! Long Post...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes- DON'T replace any filter media! That's why you are cycling the tank- to get the BB in the media of the filter, and I you replace the media, the BB goes with it and you would have to cycle all over again! Just rinse the cartridges and othe media clean with tank water or dechlorinated water and put it back.

I understand not to be doing ANY changing of the media now, during CYCLING...I mean once the tank has been running a month, two months, three, etc. and normal debris buildup begins to take place in the HOBs...

Still always just rinse the media?

I didn't read through the whole thread but did read your first post. As far as the stand leaning forward... Do you have it right up against the wall? Carpet is secured to the floors using tack strips around the edges of the rooms. You more than likely have the back of the stand on the tack strip which makes it lean forward. Try pulling the stand out about an inch the next time you have it drained.

Here's what I'm talking about:
Condo_1181_IR9.JPG

Edit: Leveling the tank is critical, especially with larger tanks. Excess stress on the seals is only asking for problems. When I set up new tanks I'll have someone sit on the stand to put some weight on it, then put a level on it. Check it side to side, front to back.

Last edited:
You your media until it literally begins to fall apart..

Do you mean USE the media until it begins to fall apart?

This pertains to the CARBON CARTRIDGES I use on the Aqueon HOB, as well? Even if these get ridiculously brown and nasty, still reuse them?

I didn't read through the whole thread but did read your first post. As far as the stand leaning forward... Do you have it right up against the wall? Carpet is secured to the floors using tack strips around the edges of the rooms. You more than likely have the back of the stand on the tack strip which makes it lean forward. Try pulling the stand out about an inch the next time you have it drained.

Here's what I'm talking about:
Condo_1181_IR9.JPG

Edit: Leveling the tank is critical, especially with larger tanks. Excess stress on the seals is only asking for problems. When I set up new tanks I'll have someone sit on the stand to put some weight on it, then put a level on it. Check it side to side, front to back.

Hey Gosh,

Thanks for the input; indeed, I too thought that if it was right up against the wall, the carpet tacking would make it lean forward...but it's not smack up against the wall...there's enough room for the air pumps, the HOBs, cords, tubes and a fairly large surge protector to sit behind it, so it's a good few inches off the wall...

I understand what you're saying about the excess stress and how critical the leveling is, but if this is just a subtle lean forward -- not excessive -- can it really weaken the seals at all?

Do you mean USE the media until it begins to fall apart?

This pertains to the CARBON CARTRIDGES I use on the Aqueon HOB, as well? Even if these get ridiculously brown and nasty, still reuse them?

Yeah, whenever it gets brown and nasty just rinse it and clean it up, and put it back in. Once it starts to get kind of raggedy and falling apart as tiger said you would replace. In my old tanks, I replaced the cartridges in my Marineland HOB once every 6 weeks about...

Yeah, whenever it gets brown and nasty just rinse it and clean it up, and put it back in. Once it starts to get kind of raggedy and falling apart as tiger said you would replace. In my old tanks, I replaced the cartridges in my Marineland HOB once every 6 weeks about...

You REPLACED the cartridges in your old Marineland HOBs every six weeks or so...didn't rinse them?

You REPLACED the cartridges in your old Marineland HOBs every six weeks or so...didn't rinse them?

Well that's usually how long mine lasts until they start peeling apart. You don't want to replace them unless you absolutely have to, you really never want to replace them. There is no real schedule on how often to replace them, just do it when they start to get really beat up and nasty.

Gotcha. Thank you, Dan.

As a side note, my particular HOB that takes these "carbon/floss cartridges" -- the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 -- actually also feature these blue plastic "bio grid" and diffuser pieces which are supposed to be where the bacteria grows and is housed...Aqueon states that the filter cartridges can be replaced regularly without worry of losing beneficial bacteria because the bacteria in these particular filters will grow on the "bio grid" pieces (which they don't recommend rinsing or ever touching, of course)...

Take a read on some of this, and please let me know your thoughts:

Aqueon » Aqueon Filter Cartridge Large | Products

Aqueon » Aqueon QuietFlow? Power Filter | Products

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/017/30260.pdf

Aqueon Videos

Gotcha. Thank you, Dan.

As a side note, my particular HOB that takes these "carbon/floss cartridges" -- the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 -- actually also feature these blue plastic "bio grid" and diffuser pieces which are supposed to be where the bacteria grows and is housed...Aqueon states that the filter cartridges can be replaced regularly without worry of losing beneficial bacteria because the bacteria in these particular filters will grow on the "bio grid" pieces (which they don't recommend rinsing or ever touching, of course)...

Take a read on some of this, and please let me know your thoughts:

Aqueon » Aqueon Filter Cartridge Large | Products

Aqueon » Aqueon QuietFlow? Power Filter | Products

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/017/30260.pdf

Aqueon Videos

Well, if Aqueon says that's where the BB is supposed to be, I guess replacing them would do not much harm, but you should still have no reason to change them unless its falling apart like tiger terror said.

I run a quiet flow on my 10g planted tank,but I don't buy their cartridges...I cut pads out of a large polyfibre pad instead of using their pre-made ones...also I don't actively use carbon in any of my filters unless cleaning up left over meds...

Well, if Aqueon says that's where the BB is supposed to be, I guess replacing them would do not much harm, but you should still have no reason to change them unless its falling apart like tiger terror said.

Understood. Thank you for your thoughts. (y)

I run a quiet flow on my 10g planted tank,but I don't buy their cartridges...I cut pads out of a large polyfibre pad instead of using their pre-made ones...also I don't actively use carbon in any of my filters unless cleaning up left over meds...

Do you have any pics of your 10 running the QuietFlow?

No,actually removed 16 plants in total&8 back...would be impossible to remove the shrimp so I just work around them...also keep fluval pre-filters over the intakes..

Gotcha.

So, you have the two HOBs on this 10 gallon? All my hood gave me room for with my 10 gallon was one HOB (via the cutouts in the back) so I ran an Aqueon QuietFlow 20; the "internal" filter that came with the startup kit with the tank was absolute crap...replaced that immediately...:nono:

Yes I run both filters&no to the removing if fish for the rescape or I should say replant..I use a glass hood on this tank so that it allows me to add necessary equip...you wouldn't have to live in Indiana would ya?

Yes I run both filters&no to the removing if fish for the rescape or I should say replant..I use a glass hood on this tank so that it allows me to add necessary equip...you wouldn't have to live in Indiana would ya?

No...unfortunately I don't live in Indiana...:(

Why do you ask?

My old highscools mascots name was the Artesian Wells(Arties)...I know it was a reach but thought I'd ask..I live in Indy...

Back
Top Bottom