FINALLY got a pic... what is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm following currently fighting the same thing in my ISO tank. Using pima fix/melafix for now. It is confusing weather or not this is a fungus or a bacteria. Anyway keep us posted when you decide what treatment to use. I'd be interested to know!

Thanks!

I'm following currently fighting the same thing in my ISO tank. Using pima fix/melafix for now. It is confusing weather or not this is a fungus or a bacteria. Anyway keep us posted when you decide what treatment to use. I'd be interested to know!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, Bacterial infections usually aren't fuzzy. If you see fuzz, it's some form of fungus infection.
Go look at the article I recommended in my previous post to get a better understanding of what you are dealing with.(y)

Time is not on your side if it is bacterial. :(

ugh! it's like the more i research the more confused I am. I looked at the link you sent (which is great information by the way) and I totally convinced myself it was columnaris and not fungus related as I thought. It had to do with a couple things...1) it is also referred to as something like saddleback disease which is exactly where the original fish had the growth. 2) when i look really up close i can't see any "fibers" sticking out as the fungus description says.

I was so convinced that I ran down and picked up some triple sulfa (one of the recommended fixes - i chose it because it said it was easy on the aquarium environment and plants). I was totally shocked to see it was going to cost me $30 to treat with that by the way (55 gallon tank) - now i know why people have separate tanks to treat things - i seriously think I could buy a 10 gallon kit for the same price.

Anyway so i went online to see where I could buy it cheaper and i tripped upon another columnaris article and it said that with columnaris it'll kill the fish within 72 hours. So that totally threw me through another loop. I mean the original fish (the first two pics on this thread) i've had now for probably a month like that - and it's really not all that much worse off than it was when i got it.

So now i'm back to thinking it's fungus related.... :(

maybe i'll go exchange the triple sulfate for some fungus treatment. I mean teh spots on teh others are increasing daily in number - but not size - and not at near the rate of ich - and they are much less defined than ich spots. the fin rot looks to be spreading pretty aggressive though - and the melafix and pimafix combination over the past week didn't stop it (in fact it wasn't there when i started that treatment).

Back to square one :(

so far the pic that best shows somethign similar to what the fish are exhibiting is the pic of that golden ram from teh badmans site under fungus.

Anyone know a good fungus treatment that isn't too hard on teh fish and safe for my plants?

ugh! it's like the more i research the more confused I am. I looked at the link you sent (which is great information by the way) and I totally convinced myself it was columnaris and not fungus related as I thought. It had to do with a couple things...1) it is also referred to as something like saddleback disease which is exactly where the original fish had the growth. 2) when i look really up close i can't see any "fibers" sticking out as the fungus description says.

I was so convinced that I ran down and picked up some triple sulfa (one of the recommended fixes - i chose it because it said it was easy on the aquarium environment and plants). I was totally shocked to see it was going to cost me $30 to treat with that by the way (55 gallon tank) - now i know why people have separate tanks to treat things - i seriously think I could buy a 10 gallon kit for the same price.

Anyway so i went online to see where I could buy it cheaper and i tripped upon another columnaris article and it said that with columnaris it'll kill the fish within 72 hours. So that totally threw me through another loop. I mean the original fish (the first two pics on this thread) i've had now for probably a month like that - and it's really not all that much worse off than it was when i got it.

So now i'm back to thinking it's fungus related.... :(

maybe i'll go exchange the triple sulfate for some fungus treatment. I mean teh spots on teh others are increasing daily in number - but not size - and not at near the rate of ich - and they are much less defined than ich spots. the fin rot looks to be spreading pretty aggressive though - and the melafix and pimafix combination over the past week didn't stop it (in fact it wasn't there when i started that treatment).

Back to square one :(

so far the pic that best shows somethign similar to what the fish are exhibiting is the pic of that golden ram from teh badmans site under fungus.

Anyone know a good fungus treatment that isn't too hard on teh fish and safe for my plants?

I'll make this suggestion: Go with the Furan-2 (since it works on both Gram + &-) because the bacterial infection is obviously worse than the other problem. If the other is in fact a fungus, the furizone should help that too. If Furan-2 is not recommended for plants, put the plants into a container under light until you have cured the main tank. Keeping the plants without fish for a couple of weeks might also be a good way to eliminate any harboring organisms.

There is a reason why people recommend medicating in a smaller tank... The cost of the medicine! I used to buy the stuff in bulk and still lowered the water level so I wouldn't have to use so much of it. It gets expensive!!!:facepalm: You can do that too if you have a canister or inside the tank filter. Just make sure you have an accurate reading of gallons of water you are treating. (It might help save you some money.) Now you know why I used to do sensitivity cultures, you can't always get a proper diagnosis but the petrie dish never lies. ;)

If the bacterial infection is getting worse, stop playing and planning and just DO before it is too late. It sounds like you need to do a water change also prior to medicating. Bacterial infections usually are worse in dirty tanks and dirty water.

Hope it all works out for you (y)

Update #2

I'm disappointed to say I just finished the triple sulfa treatment (went with that primarily based upon the recommendation from the site Andy provided because it was listed for both columnaris and fungus) and the white spots are still there and so is the lumpy/ fuzzy thing seen in the first two pics. The fin rot appears better (the edges aren't white anymore) but the spots are all still there. I'm about at my whits end now. I can't really do the peroxide treatment that mumma recommended because I can't catch the buggers and it's in multiple spots on three fishes do it would be practically impossible to do appropriately. I think I've spent double on meds than all my fish combined and it still exists. :(

Update #2

I'm disappointed to say I just finished the triple sulfa treatment (went with that primarily based upon the recommendation from the site Andy provided because it was listed for both columnaris and fungus) and the white spots are still there and so is the lumpy/ fuzzy thing seen in the first two pics. The fin rot appears better (the edges aren't white anymore) but the spots are all still there. I'm about at my whits end now. I can't really do the peroxide treatment that mumma recommended because I can't catch the buggers and it's in multiple spots on three fishes do it would be practically impossible to do appropriately. I think I've spent double on meds than all my fish combined and it still exists. :(
So there is a good news/bad news deal with this. The good news is that the bacterial infection (which would have most likely killed the fish) is gone whereas the fuzzys aren't. The sulpha drug appears to have worked on that. That's the good news.
The bad news is that it didn't get rid of the fuzzys which means that they are either not fungal or are gram + in nature. My next step, since you can't catch the fish, is to treat with Furan-2. Since it works on both gram - and gram+, the gram - aspect will support the healing already done and the gram+ part will hopefully attack the fuzzy stuff. As I said, reduce the water volume as best you can to cut down on the amount of meds you need to use.

Keep your chin up (y). The fish are still alive which means you still have a fighting chance of making them better. Your job isn't done until the fish is cured or dead (and we are all trying to get that dead aspect to not happen;)) Think of it in human terms: how many times have you taken a medicine that didn't work but when you tried something else, it did? I have a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG list of allergy meds that don't work for me but a very short list of ones that do. I had to go through all those other ones to find out which ones worked.
Keep at it. You will have a wealth of experience you can share when this is all over (y)

So I picked up some furan 2. Do I need to do a massive water change before starting it?
Before treating, contact the manufacturer and see what kind of reaction there is when mixing the 2 antibiotics. If they have a reaction, yes, do a water change. If they combine well, just do a small water change to freshen up the tank for now.
Sorry, I just don't remember which meds mix anymore and the product furan-2 is younger than my books. :brows:

Nope... I literally spent hundreds (ended up buying quarantine tank) on trying to make them healthy again but they all ended up dying (even the one I never added to the qt because it never showed a single sign of problems - even until the day he died). Pretty disappointing but I think the guy I bought the rams from did me wrong....last time I ever buy anything outside of a store or maybe someone on here that people trust. I'm just praying whatever it was didn't spread to the rest of my fish / tank. So far everything looks good (knock on wood).

Anyone have any recommendations on how long I should wait before adding anymore fish?

Passatryde said:
Nope... I literally spent hundreds (ended up buying quarantine tank) on trying to make them healthy again but they all ended up dying (even the one I never added to the qt because it never showed a single sign of problems - even until the day he died). Pretty disappointing but I think the guy I bought the rams from did me wrong....last time I ever buy anything outside of a store or maybe someone on here that people trust. I'm just praying whatever it was didn't spread to the rest of my fish / tank. So far everything looks good (knock on wood).

Anyone have any recommendations on how long I should wait before adding anymore fish?

Hopefully you had better luck than me

I hate to say it but the longer you wait, the better off you will be. Since we are still not 100% what the problem was, you can't tell what the effects are going to be on the other fish in the tank. I'd keep a close eye on them for a while and have some patients.

I'd also strongly suggest that as long as you now have a quarantine tank, make sure you use it for ANY new arrivals before putting them into the main tank. (y)

Andy Sager said:
I hate to say it but the longer you wait, the better off you will be. Since we are still not 100% what the problem was, you can't tell what the effects are going to be on the other fish in the tank. I'd keep a close eye on them for a while and have some patients.

I'd also strongly suggest that as long as you now have a quarantine tank, make sure you use it for ANY new arrivals before putting them into the main tank. (y)

How long is long? A month? By the way is it normal for platty's to go to the top of the tank for air? I have one that does it occasionally and one that seems to do it pretty often. I've noticed it for some time but I'm just ultra paranoid about looking for problems with my other fish after all this?

How long is long? A month? By the way is it normal for platty's to go to the top of the tank for air? I have one that does it occasionally and one that seems to do it pretty often. I've noticed it for some time but I'm just ultra paranoid about looking for problems with my other fish after all this?

By long I mean, let the tank just be with no problems for as long as you can stand it :blink: (Yes at least a month in my eyes. ;))
As for Platys coming to the surface, that's not that unusual. You need to make sure that there is enough airation in the tank and that they are coming to the surface for "fun" not necessity. If your fish all start coming to the surface gasping for air on a more regular basis, that is usually a sign of either improper airation in the tank or something effecting the gills of the fish (usually oodinium or some parasite or excess ammonia/ nitrites/nitrates). They also could just be coming to the surface because they see a bug or some other type of food particle still floating.
Paranoia is not necessary but observence is a good thing to have ;). It will stop things from getting out of hand (y)

Back
Top Bottom