Finally Got My 10 Gallon Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoilus68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think. . .

Tested the water yesterday:

.25 ppm ammonia
7.8 ph
5.0 ppm nitrites
5.0 ppm nitrates
temperature 78 F (heater keeps it pretty constant)

That filter has been on there since October 15th, but the gravel and ornaments have been in there since September 7th 2015.

My biggest question is this: I had two pregnant female guppies in this tank (about four inches total), added a male guppy and then two more fry that are about six weeks old.

I figured one of my guppies would drop her fry today, and she did. I think I have four fry swimming around the real and artificial cover around the bottom of the tank.

I'm assuming that's too many for a 10 g tank??? lol Should I put the males back in the 20 gallon that's still fish-in cycling with two black mollies? Also, what else do I need to keep an eye on to make sure the tank is indeed cycled and ready to support its maximum load? And is that max load still 8-9 inches of fish?

Thank you! :fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oh and P.S. is that a female black molly? It was sold to me (of course) as a male.

A. Do a water change to get to Zero Ammonia.

B. Pull fish if needed or add some plants and do water changes anytime Ammonia goes up.

C. That is def a female Molly. Fan fin is female. Make belly fin looks like a sword.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A. Do a water change to get to Zero Ammonia.

B. Pull fish if needed or add some plants and do water changes anytime Ammonia goes up.

C. That is def a female Molly. Fan fin is female. Make belly fin looks like a sword.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a water change. Will test in about an hour to see where I'm at.

I've got two "real" plants; will those help control the ammonia, or with the chemistry in any other helpful ways?

I thought it was a female, but she's so bossy with other females. She tried pushing Rocco, my male black molly, around but he turned the tables on her.

I put them together about a month ago, though, and she doesn't look pregnant in the slightest. Wonder why?

Did a water change. Will test in about an hour to see where I'm at.

I've got two "real" plants; will those help control the ammonia, or with the chemistry in any other helpful ways?

Live plants, especially only two won't do much to any of the chemistry in my experience (which is still rather limited myself so take that with a grain of salt) from what I've read it takes a veritable forest to effect the water chemistry greatly. Real plants certainly won't mind processing the ammonia and CO2 in your tank but it won't make much of a dent with so few

To the original question;
No your tank is NOT cycled.
It is still cycling and a guess would say just over 1/2 done.
The presence of ammonia or nitrite say all that is needed to answer that question.

Have you tested your source water before it hits the tank?

+1 on female molly

How long where her and male together and what makes you think the other is a male?

To the original question;
No your tank is NOT cycled.
It is still cycling and a guess would say just over 1/2 done.
The presence of ammonia or nitrite say all that is needed to answer that question.

Have you tested your source water before it hits the tank?

+1 on female molly

How long where her and male together and what makes you think the other is a male?

They've been together about a month now and he's definitely got a gonopodium.

I tested my source water for pH (about a 7.8), but nothing else. Guess I should do that.

Back
Top Bottom