Finally have nitrites.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErnieB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Took 6 weeks but finally have nitrites showing up. My question is how long does it usually take from this time to start seeing nitrAtes?

probably not long... a few days?... but it may be a couple more WEEKS before the nitrItes disappear... and that's really the next "goal".

Depends on tank temp & a host of other factors ... <eg fishless vs fish, how high you can push the nitrite spikes, etc.>

The nitrite phase is usu. twice as long as the ammonia phase. It took me over 8 weeks in my original (cold water) tank cycling.

I use Stress Coat as my water conditioner which detoxes ammonia as well. I have previously been doing water changes once a week and at about 15%.

When and how often and how much should i do them now since there are nitrites?

Its a 37g with 5 silvertip tetras, 78 degrees.

If you're NOT keeping tabs on the Nitrite level with a test kit I would recommend daily 20% water changes .. though you could probably get away with every other day.

If you ARE measuring the Nitrite level (do it daily) then do a water change (20%) any time you get a reading .5 or higher. Bigger water changes are OK if that's what it takes to get the level BELOW .5.

(That's all assuming you have fish in the tank. If it's fishless, then you don't need to do any water changing until the cycle is complete and you are ready to add fish... then do a HUGE (90-100%) water change. :) )

If you're NOT keeping tabs on the Nitrite level with a test kit I would recommend daily 20% water changes .. though you could probably get away with every other day.

If you ARE measuring the Nitrite level (do it daily) then do a water change (20%) any time you get a reading .5 or higher. Bigger water changes are OK if that's what it takes to get the level BELOW .5.

(That's all assuming you have fish in the tank. If it's fishless, then you don't need to do any water changing until the cycle is complete and you are ready to add fish... then do a HUGE (90-100%) water change. :) )

Yes i test it myself, thats how i know i have nitrites finally. And yes i stated above it has 5 silvertip tetras cycling it. So just keep checking daily and when .5 or higher do enough pwc to bring it below .5.... sounds good. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom