FINALLY!- new tank, need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been trying to make a new post, or even reply to any comments I've seen, and for some reason, this site wouldnt let me... anywhoo! FINALLYYYYYYY

Okay, So I have a 29 freshwater with one pleco, one chinese algae eater and 5 Giant Danio. I've almost finished the cycle, the nitrites or nitrates, sorry I cant remeber, is VERY high.. Just need to keep doing water changes to get that under control (I blame my one year old for taking my time away!)

Ok, So tomorrow I'm buying a 35 gallon tank with stand.
didnt come with filter or heater or anything, so I just bought all that crao online tonight.

I just bought a
HOT Magnum 250 - (250 GPH) canister filter,

i've never had one, but thats besides the point....

I'm wondering how I can cycle my tank faster. Should I put the canister into my 29 gallon, even though its not done cycling, and use the filter I have in there on the tank I'm about to set up? Would that help speed things up or would that just mess everything up?

I like the idea of using the canister in my old tank because giant danios like the current, or so I've read....

Any advice is LOVED.
<3 thanks!:brows:

OH, ALSO

I'm moving in a year. I will rehome my fish to my LFS.
BUT, my seond question is, can I take my filter media, SEAL it in a bag full of tank water while I move? How long should it be okay in a sealed bag?

thanks!

1. Honestly, you can't "make" it cycle any faster. It's just time and patience. You can however, add the new filter to the existing tank as you thought, and that will "seed" the new filter in about 2 weeks.

2. That is correct. Just place all your media in a bag (or bucket with lid may be easier) and keep it wet with existing tank water. I would choose to keep as much water as possible (at least 50%) so when setup time arrives, it's like a PWC.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

How long will the filter media be okay to move? When I do move, it will be quite a ways away, so I will have all my stuff packed and delivered.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long will the filter media be okay to move? When I do move, it will be quite a ways away, so I will have all my stuff packed and delivered.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a bit lost.

Is the move that far that the current fish be rehomed permanently to the LFS and new fish acquired after the move ?

Will the current fish ever come back to you ?

Are you trusting a moving company to transport your tank(s), stand, and filter/water ?

If so, are they reputable/reliable/insured, and are you sure you're covered ?

Sorry. I wasn't very specific.

My husband joined the navy. We are stationed here in Chicago for one year to complete his first year of school. So in one year we are moving (I don't know where yet)

So we will have the movers the military provides us, pack up our belongings. Everything will be insured I suppose.

They will not pack any liquids so keeping the water isn't an option.

I was going to (with my food saver) seal a bag of my tank water with my filter media) and I was wondering how long the bacteria will survive, or if I will have to cycle all over again.

I'm going to give the lfs all my fish when I move. Buy more when we arrive at next station.
(Not sure if we can fly with the red ear slider turtle or not, going to try to keep him!)

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Sorry. I wasn't very specific.

My husband joined the navy. We are stationed here in Chicago for one year to complete his first year of school. So in one year we are moving (I don't know where yet)

So we will have the movers the military provides us, pack up our belongings. Everything will be insured I suppose.

They will not pack any liquids so keeping the water isn't an option.

I was going to (with my food saver) seal a bag of my tank water with my filter media) and I was wondering how long the bacteria will survive, or if I will have to cycle all over again.

I'm going to give the lfs all my fish when I move. Buy more when we arrive at next station.
(Not sure if we can fly with the red ear slider turtle or not, going to try to keep him!)

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Sorry for the delay. Life has been being life, lol. So now I can understand a bit better. Squid life and never knowing where you're going, but hurry up and wait !! Been there, done that.

It should last for a bit but not indefinitely. And since your flying and not driving, I can't see your stuff being too far ahead of or behind you, but moving doesn't always go as planned. IMO, I'd try to keep it with you to help when establishing your tank in the new place. But also be prepared that you may have to recycle the tank again.

As for the turtle, your guess is as good as mine. That will all depend on the airline. I'd probably make plans to find out (if possible) now who the airline could potentially be and call to find out any restrictions. And call back a few times as things can change. Or even check all the major ones just to get an idea now.

Back
Top Bottom