Finally ready to stock tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! My tank finally cycled and I am ready to stock my tank!!!! I have included a photo of the finished tank with my LR puttied up! Now to my questions...I am planning on buying snails and also my bi-color blennie in this first order. Just wondering if this amount of snails is appropriate for a new aquarium:
3 Turbos, 3 Astrea, 3 Trochus, and probably 10 small nassarius snails.
Thanks for any advice!

Yes maybe so. You have to remember that your tank is very new and does not have alot for them to eat. What is your stocking list look like for the rest of the fish?

I'd prolly go for one of the first three and skip the nassarius for now since that sand bed is still almost new underneath.

Stocking list looks like this:

1 Bi Color Blennie
1 Yellow Watchman Gobie
2 Ocellaris clowns
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blue Tang
1 Azure Damsel
What do you think?

You planning on hermit crabs too? They'll be fed more than snails will be for a new tank. The hermits will get all the food that gets by the fish and gets stuck in the corners, or in the rocks. Didn't notice at first it was a 72g. Still, I'd go slower on the snails. Maybe 2 of each.

If it were me, I'd do the gobyand blenny first. After a week or two, then the clowns and the shrimp. Go for 3 as they come out when in numbers. They hide when alone.

That's how I would do it. Yours and other's mileage may vary. :)

I'd consider also doubling the rock amount. Add base. Or already cured live rock. Go for larger pieces.

I was trying to stay away from hermits, just wanted to do snails. If you think hermits are the way to go though I am not completely opposed to them. What kind and numbers would you recommend? Are you recommending 3 clownfish? I was reading about how to feed snails and was looking at algae tabs or something like that. Also what kind of foods would you recommend for my stocking list. I was thinking flakes along with some frozen types of food every so often (bloodworms, brine shrimp). Also a veggie clip with kelp for the tang.

Yeah. Hermits can take some snails out, but I consider that part of the natural process when I replace snails annually maybe. Need empty shells laying around behind the rocks maybe for them to grow in to. Might save a "few" snails. :)

3 shrimp.

Pellets. Veggie and meat. Switch'm up. Mostly, I like brine and mysis frozen, rinsed in fw, added with some thawed Formula two (Ocean Nutrition I believe), or other frozen vegetable food, then soaked in Garlic Guard and Zoe.

Not a fan of flake food anymore. But I will use it once every two weeks or so right after I put my hands in the tank and shake'm all up. Food eases them quickly. :)

Why no hermits?

Didn't want to deal with the hermits, just due to the fact that I have never really dealt with them. Was somewhat concerned about having to keep empty shells around, but I am coming around to the idea of the hermits after talking to you about them!

I love hermits, they are great cleaners. Most people reccomend 1/gallond. i have a 55g tnak and have about 20 or so. They are so small that you might only find a portion of them at a time when looking for them.

Back
Top Bottom