Finding a companion for a lonely Tiger Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonstinton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey.

We recently lost Barb number 3 of 4 and so are left wth a solitary fish in a 6gallon tank. We'd like to get another fish or two in there for company and wondered what would be best suited. We do have a slight problem with algae on the bottom so we did think a plecy would be good for controlling that, but are there any others, and how many would be reccommended in the 6gal tank.

Many thanks,

Jon&Liz

Those barbs need to be in a larger tank. I'd get a 29gal and at least five more barbs. Having 4-5 in a 6gal probably contributed to their death. How often did you gravel vac and amount of water change?

Kim

Jon,
Tiger barbs like to be with at least 5-6 of their own kind....but as has already been stated...that many tiger barbs in a 6g tank is tooooo much! ;) So either upgrade to a larger tank or trade your tiger barb for a fish who doesn't need to school/shoal. If you are planning to upgrade, you could probably purchase 2 Tiger barbs for the existing tank as long as you are strict about water changes. I would recommend 10% once a week. (but this isn't a preferred long-term solution)
I would not recommend a pleco (or any other fish besides the 2 barbs mentioned above) in that size tank....
*Bonus Tip: If you DO upgrade...keep the 6g tank running for a QT tank.
Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom