Finding Nemo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to add my 2 cents, here: You are all talking to the wrong people here. Anyone that comes on this forum to get a Nemo is doing the right thing and may actually end up with a decent sw set up!

I just saw the movie (rented) last night. My wife stopped me after the second "Now wait a second you can't keep those two ..." It does make it seem easy and yes, they are all extremely cute and what little kid won't want them. But in some lfs defense, I have been seeing signs since the movie came out that say in no uncertain terms that Nemo's are tough to keep. I've overheard conversations that started with: Customer: I want one of those (clownfish) and ended with the clerk clearly layout what they actually needed. The customer ended with a very nice 10 gallon tank and the promise to her kids that they would come back for the pretty FW fish they had picked out....

Anyway, back to my point: We should be the ones telling "the guy next door who is adding morton's to his walmart bowl" What the deal is. (not bashing the member who wrote that in, mind you). We should spread teh word even at lfs, when we see parents and their kids eyeing the clowns. We can be nice. We can be informative. We can give them this website address.

So, instead of bitching and moaning amongst ourselves about the demise of poor clownfish -- only of fraction of which are tank raised, btw -- let's help out. I know I try to. : :)

Every animal that's in a movie becomes popular and gets exploited. This is not something new. I am happy to say that my lfs, including Petco and Petsmart are not stocking overstocking this fish. And I am 100% that the lfs I use would not sell these fish to somebody who didn't have the right set up or didn't know what they're doing. Every time I go to the store they only have 1 clown fish alone in a tank. They are just the cutest dang things :p

Quote:
I do believe the tank in the dentist's office was also over-stocked if you ask me.

I agree, but where did he get that great "scanning" filter??
Are you sure that the tank is overstocked? By my calculations from sizing the tank against everyday items found in the dentists office, and adding in the thickness of the wall it divides, that tank is approximately 24" deep, 48" wide and 24" high = 120 gal.

Just to add my 2 cents, here: You are all talking to the wrong people here. Anyone that comes on this forum to get a Nemo is doing the right thing and may actually end up with a decent sw set up!

I just saw the movie (rented) last night. My wife stopped me after the second "Now wait a second you can't keep those two ..." It does make it seem easy and yes, they are all extremely cute and what little kid won't want them. But in some lfs defense, I have been seeing signs since the movie came out that say in no uncertain terms that Nemo's are tough to keep. I've overheard conversations that started with: Customer: I want one of those (clownfish) and ended with the clerk clearly layout what they actually needed. The customer ended with a very nice 10 gallon tank and the promise to her kids that they would come back for the pretty FW fish they had picked out....

Anyway, back to my point: We should be the ones telling "the guy next door who is adding morton's to his walmart bowl" What the deal is. (not bashing the member who wrote that in, mind you). We should spread teh word even at lfs, when we see parents and their kids eyeing the clowns. We can be nice. We can be informative. We can give them this website address.

So, instead of *beep* and moaning amongst ourselves about the demise of poor clownfish -- only of fraction of which are tank raised, btw -- let's help out. I know I try to. :
Time for a group hug! :hugs:

all i can say is if the tank is overstocked what does it matter the fish arent real.........

all i can say is if the tank is overstocked what does it matter the fish arent real.........
.thats the point.. IS the tank overstocked?
sorry.... maybe i should start a new thread

Back
Top Bottom