Fine dark hair growing on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloefinn2003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I've noticed that some of my plants have a fine black hair growing on them. Some plants and bulbs are doing great and haven't been affected at all. Plus one of my plants leaves are turning brown. What do u think the problem is and how can I help stop it ??

Cheers

Yep it's black hair algae. I do have algae eaters. What's the best thing I can do. I do a 20% water change weekly and put plant food in the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hair or Beard Algae Problem

Hi everyone. I've noticed that some of my plants have a fine black hair growing on them. Some plants and bulbs are doing great and haven't been affected at all. Plus one of my plants leaves are turning brown. What do u think the problem is and how can I help stop it ??

Cheers

Hello chloe.

Likely hair or beard algae if your tank hasn't been running very long. I've seen the stuff on numerous occasions in a lot of tanks.

B

Yeah I only started it in November of last year. What do u suggest I do ???

Algae Control

Yep it's black hair algae. I do have algae eaters. What's the best thing I can do. I do a 20% water change weekly and put plant food in the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello again chloe...

Limit phosphate and nitrate as much as possible, by not feeding much flaked food. The nitrates can be reduced by adding floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Duckweed and Pennywort. Small water changes do little to maintain pure water conditions, which is what will limit the growth of most algae. If possible, up your tank water changes to 50 percent at least every two weeks and don't feed the fish much. They're tiny and can easily subsist on a couple of small feedings per week.

B

I had the same problem. I use excel (Glut) at the normal daily dose and black beard algae slowly disappeared. Took a few week though, and I helped the process by removing any very badly covered leaves.

Back
Top Bottom