Finish stocking my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I would really like to finish stocking my tank soon, but I am at an impass as to what to get. Stocking/tank details are below, tank has been up and running since August of this year and has steadied at about 10ppm NitrAtes, 76 degrees F, pH 7.4. No real plants, but looking at slowly going to real over next year.

So I was going to complete stocking originally w/ 6 tiger barbs, but reading and advice here showed me the error of my ways. I moved on via reccomendation to Serpae Tetras, but I think I have seen enough about nipping problems with them to want to stay away from them too... I like my Dwarf Gourami too much...

So I have about 8-9 inches or so of room left in the tank and no idea what to put in it. I am looking for fish in the 1.5" - 2.5" range that either school, or will do well in groups. Looking for bold colors in the blue/yellow/orange ranges. I would prefer something a little less than absolutly common, and maybe a little bit of a challange to raise (though not too much as I am still a huge noob). Oh... and must have personality as they will likely become the feature fish for the tank.

I have been looking around and havent been able to get excited about any of the other tetras or barbs...Mostly cause I cant find any with really bold colorings. CPD's would be intersting but too small... already have Zebra Danios which fill in the tiny fish slot ;P.

Couple of fish that really did catch my eye... Killifish and Apistos... Both have gorgeous species, both had info out there saying that some species are great for noobs, but then again, they may be trying to sell fish. One I was looking specifically at were Cockatoo Apistos (Apistogramma cacatuoides), which there are couple pairings on sale on aquabid.com. Anyone w/ more info on any of the above?

So help pair me up! Anyone have other ideas that would work in my current setup? I'm itchin' to hear what you all have in mind!:D

Killifish and Apistos...
Killifish are pretty common fish and are pretty easy to care for. IMO they are great for begginers. But they Dont school. I dont know a ton about Apistos. So i'm not going to give you any advice on them (in fear i might be wrong) except that i'm pretty sure they dont school either. I personally like the Scarlet Gem Badis yes they are small and dont school but they are pretty tough and pretty fierce for their size and they are colorful and nice looking too. check out this sight www.liveaquaria.com/ they sell fish but they also tell you alot about the fish they sell oh and they have a huge variety.

Thanks for the suggestions! "Schooling" (in the pure definition of the word) is not too much of a concern for me.. I just dont want any more species in my tank that must be kept solo... for instance my dwarf Gourami... I would need a larger tank and more hiding spots to keep another male due to aggression issues..

liveaquaria.com is a great site... thats actually where I started clueing in on the killifish.

Thought about those, but I may have too many low level creatures already between my BNP, and 3 (soon to be 6) Amano shrimp...

I will definitely be getting some for the next tank though... they are cute lil buggers!

by the way, took a look at the Scarlet Gem Badis at liveaquaria.com and they say that they are a nono for community tanks. Have you tried them with success??

Here ya go... full tank shot... off my cell phone though, so not that good... my wife accidentally took the digital cam to work w/ her today. :rolleyes:

oddly enough, before taking the pic, I decided to stick a piece of black foam core that I had sitting around behind the tank... I didnt think I would like the solid black background, but it looks really nice! I'll have to trim it up and make it a permanent add.

So I am really looking heavily at these Cockatoo Apistos... they look like exactly what I am looking for... anyone have any experience w/ them? Not nessisarily looking to breed them at this time, but gosh they are nice looking...

Attachments

• fulltank.jpg
    fulltank.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 91
Thought about those, but I may have too many low level creatures already between my BNP, and 3 (soon to be 6) Amano shrimp...

I will definitely be getting some for the next tank though... they are cute lil buggers!

by the way, took a look at the Scarlet Gem Badis at liveaquaria.com and they say that they are a nono for community tanks. Have you tried them with success??
I've kept them with danio, tetras, cories, and a rainbow shark in a 35g tank. with no problems, but i might have just gotten lucky so since the sighht says not to do it then i wouldn't. My bad.

No bad needed! Like I said in another thread w/ ya, I tend to take internet research for a grain of salt... I much prefer personal experience.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom