Finnex FugeRay or Ray2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright...I think I am just going to go with the ecoxotic then. I am already spending more than I want to so what's a few extra bucks to get a better light....I have been waiting for a stand to get built for my tank before I set it up and I will have that Sunday night. I have to order the light and get everything I planned to use for substrate and then I will start a journal. I look forward to finally getting this tank started and hearing your opinions and advice....As always...thanks to everyone for your time and input!

If you do go with the Finnex models, even though they do not have dimming capabilities (though one model in the upcoming series will), you can run them on separate timers and adjust the photoperiods and overlap time as needed. Not the same as using a dimmer but it gives you some level of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, Fresh, I may go with the finnex for the 75 I have that is not as tall as this 55 but one tank at a time for now haha

Don't let me sway your choice! Also, be warned...these guys are very good at helping you spend your money. It's like shopping vicariously or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

lol, yes, they are a bad influence on me! But it doesn't take much to get me to spend money...

I'm coming late to the convo, but the goal is a low-med light no co2 tank right? Seems like these options are putting you way over that goal IMO. I know someone who used the planted+ on their 29 and ended up going with a current sat+ instead because the the planted+ was a little more than they wanted to deal with, light wise. If you plan to go high tech down the line, then a dimmable higher end fixture would not be a bad idea, but if you don't foresee that happening at any point then I don't see the need to spend the extra money on a killer fixture just to dim it down.

A 2 bulb T5ho is more than enough to put you into low-medium lighting as well. Not nearly as efficient as a LED setup, but typically cheaper initial startup cost especially for the lower end models.

*edit* just noticed you said a tall hex 29", not a 29g. I can tell you that on my 120 with a 3 bulb t5ho 27"ish off the substrate, it did OK but nothing spectactular, so a higher intensity fixture may be in order. I don't have the time right now to compare the PAR data for the varying finnex fixtures, but I think I'd likely side with the ray2 if I had to make a choice right now.

Last edited:
Jeta, I don't think either finnex will give me enough par so I'm just gonna go with the ecoxotic. At 30in it will have a par of 30 so it will prob be at about 26-27in and hopefully that will be enough for what I'm looking to grow. Just want some jungle val, dwarf sag, xmas moss, downoi, and a couple other I need some input on once I start my journal.

Back
Top Bottom