Finnex Fugeray Planted+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ordered one for the 7.9g cube, par should be around 60-70 at the lowest point of my substrate, is this enough light to grow Dwarf baby tears? Never tried growing them before I've read they can be tricky. I'll be dosing ferts (phosphates, nitrates, whatever else there is can't remember names) accordingly and liquid carbon (metricide 14day)

Also ordered one for my 20g high cause one of my bulbs went out on my little CFL setup I mashed together using cardboard, twist ties and glue lol. Was wondering if anyone has seen any par charts for 24 inch+ of this fixture. The only par ratings I've seen are for fixtures under 24 inches. Only looking to have on the high end of low-medium light on the 20h so if it will give me that I'll be happy.

Good to know, any word on the par for fixtures bigger then 24" or is that not going to really be released till after the product is out and hobbyists figure it out?

i didnt know the planted + was out yet . im gonna upgrade in a couple months and was deciding wether to go with the planted + when they came out or the buildmyled ones.

Last edited:
I believe they start shipping out 11-15th if you preordered one. I'm getting one for my birthday :)

Ordered one for the 7.9g cube, par should be around 60-70 at the lowest point of my substrate...

Wow... are you sure that's the estimated PAR (seems high)? What are the dimensions of your cube? I think Finnex (last time I checked), only released PAR for their 24" model. The shorter the light, the less PAR -- judging from their PAR charts for their older LED models.

I'm not sure what the PAR for the "Planted+" will be outside of the 24" fixture that Lowe put up. Judging my how PAR is reduced or increased when you get smaller or larger than a 24" fixture, we can assume there will be a reduction in PAR with the shorter fixture.

For example... here's the PAR charts for their 'regular' (older model) Fugeray. Notice how the PAR numbers are reduced despite being at the same distance when comparing the 12" and 24" model?

24" model:
2dl2l34.jpg

12" model:
2nsb4nk.jpg

Finnex will probably release similar charts for the Planted+ line as soon as the fixtures become available. On the positive side, 35+ PAR will grow a good amount of plants still.

You can order them direct from the AquaVibrant website. I was just looking at one now. They also give a review of the lights here. Finnex Finnex FugeRAY Series

I'm looking for some better reviews about how they perform for plants but i guess that for $82 this light seems like a great price for a 24" fixture.

the 24" fixture has
88x7000k daylight bulbs
48x True 660nm deep red bulbs
8x Actinic blue moon lights

It is more than likely i'll order one of these. I couldn't find out where to order these online until today and i have searched before.

If i do get this unit i will think about swapping the moonlight bulbs for 6x 7000k daylight and 2 red bulbs.

The moonlight option comes with a separate chord so running two timers in tandem will allow you to make a program that has an ultra low intensity setting if you swapped out the moonlight bulbs. Or to add extra intensity for a midday setting by switching both chords on at once.

With two timers running the separate light panels you could program in a gradual build & drop of light intensity through the day to replicate a normal solar cycle.

This is just an idea though. I am new to planted tanks so i don't know if having a gradual build up of light intensity helps plants much or at all but i know people recommend a rest period during the day for plants (or possibly to avoid algae build ups). Maybe the ultra low setting could be used during the rest period too to replicate shade?

If i do get this unit i will think about swapping the moonlight bulbs for 6x 7000k daylight and 2 red bulbs.

The moonlight option comes with a separate chord so running two timers in tandem will allow you to make a program that has an ultra low intensity setting if you swapped out the moonlight bulbs. Or to add extra intensity for a midday setting by switching both chords on at once.

With two timers running the separate light panels you could program in a gradual build & drop of light intensity through the day to replicate a normal solar cycle.

This is just an idea though. I am new to planted tanks so i don't know if having a gradual build up of light intensity helps plants much or at all but i know people recommend a rest period during the day for plants (or possibly to avoid algae build ups). Maybe the ultra low setting could be used during the rest period too to replicate shade?

I have one on the way and that is excellent to hear :D

I have one on the way and that is excellent to hear :D

Uhh. Sorry baddog. I misreadthe review of the light. I mentioned this idea on the planted tank forum and someone who has the light already told me that finnex made 2 switches on the single chord. So running 2 timers isn't an option Sorry to mislead you :hide:

has this shipped yet ? any reviews?

As mentioned above people have already got them. I haven't found a review of how they perform yet.

Back
Top Bottom