Finnex stingray vs. planted +

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium. I currently have two 13 watt light bulbs. The lights are on for about 7 hours a day, and I have an algae farm! I would like to get a finnex stingray or a finnex planted plus. The plants are low light. They haven't been doing so well. The tips are dying on my Italian Val, and my star Repens are getting some yellow and white (and no new growth). I do not use co2 in the tank. Which light would be a better option for me? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well the planted plus is for plants and the stingray is mostly for color

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Finnex planted+ would not be a good lowlight option as it would pack quite a punch on a 10g. The stingray or even a Current Satellite+ would be good options if you're looking to keep it lowlight and simple, although I doubt a stingray could effectively grow star repens. Your ferts and carbon supplementation will also be very important in keeping that plant alive.

The stingray is also for plants, just specifically for low light set ups.

I'd go with either a Current Satellite LED+ or a Finnex Planted+ 24/7. Both of these fixtures are dimmable and offer color customization. Dimming capability is great so you can dial in the right intensity to reduce the chance of algae.

So a planted plus would be too much? And a stingray, not quite enough? Are there any other lights that may be better?

I'd go with either a Current Satellite LED+ or a Finnex Planted+ 24/7. Both of these fixtures are dimmable and offer color customization. Dimming capability is great so you can dial in the right intensity to reduce the chance of algae.

Sorry didn't see this until I already sent the last comment! Will the light you suggested be able to grow low and medium light plants? Or just low? I like how it's adjustable!

Yeah i was gonna suggest the 24/7 one but on amazon its shipping is 1-4 months with prime lol

This is not correct...the stingray is capable of growing plants,they maybe considered low light but it will grow them well...increasing limitations will come into play the further the fixture is from the substrate..Plz do not offer up opinions as fact ,if you are simply unsure do a little research first..

sit in silence...

+1 to this advice from Brian...

sit in silence...

Sorry didn't see this until I already sent the last comment! Will the light you suggested be able to grow low and medium light plants? Or just low? I like how it's adjustable!

They'd both be able to handle low to medium light plants. Although, the 24/7 has a higher max output and more automation features by comparison. If you went with a Sat+ you can add a ramp timer. Above both in terms of max brightness (PAR) and features, is the Pro version of the Sat+. Just depends on budget and what goals you might have down the road (i.e. high light plants, eventfully).

Personally, if your tank is getting algae already from two CFLs id go with the stingray. One reason they are really cheap. If you are not going to do Co2 at all, medium light plants without algae may be tough for you. Why spend all that money on a planted + or higher light when you will never use it. Unless you think you will eventually get co2 and what to go higher light.

Personally, if your tank is getting algae already from two CFLs id go with the stingray. One reason they are really cheap. If you are not going to do Co2 at all, medium light plants without algae may be tough for you. Why spend all that money on a planted + or higher light when you will never use it. Unless you think you will eventually get co2 and what to go higher light.

Do you think the algae is just from too many watts (26 watts total)? I don't want algae, but I want a light that will grow plants well and be able to grow star Repens. And I don't want co2, and don't plan on getting it in the future.

So I need a 20 inch light for the 10 gallon. I also have a fluval spec 5 gallon that's 20 inches long that could use a light upgrade. Maybe I'll start with the finnex stingray on the 10 gallon. If it's not enough, I'll give it to the 5 gallon, since it's better than the stock light. And then I can get the satellite + light. Any more opinions one way or the other?

If you want the higher light, moderate needy plants and no co2, consider dosing liquid carbon like glut.

If you want the higher light, moderate needy plants and no co2, consider dosing liquid carbon like glut.

I'd like something that can grow low light plants and some on the low scale of medium light plants. I don't want to have to dose anything or run co2. Is that possible?

I've seen others mention star repens with lower intensity lighting, but in my experience with it, it did well for me with moderate lighting (or more) with co2 and ferts. For low light, I stick to easier plants like mosses, crypts, ferns, anubias, etc.

I've seen others mention star repens with lower intensity lighting, but in my experience with it, it did well for me with moderate lighting (or more) with co2 and ferts. For low light, I stick to easier plants like mosses, crypts, ferns, anubias, etc.

I had some old bulbs that grew them well, but they had a blue tint which I really didn't like. Which light would be the best for just low light plants then?

I had some old bulbs that grew them well, but they had a blue tint which I really didn't like. Which light would be the best for just low light plants then?

The before mentioned finnex stingray should do well,I'd suggest a basic fert&carbon source.

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom