Finrot /new tank/ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoping he responds well. He did have red sores at the base of his fins which has cleared up, so hopefully he is on the mend, but I will definitely pick up the med just in case. I will keep you posted , and thanks again.

Well, so far so good. He's been in the new tank for four days and the white edges seem to be getting darker, not fraying anymore. How long should I run the old filter? I bought a new one as a second filter, but don't want to risk taking the old one out to soon.

Well, so far so good. He's been in the new tank for four days and the white edges seem to be getting darker, not fraying anymore. How long should I run the old filter? I bought a new one as a second filter, but don't want to risk taking the old one out to soon.

It depends on what you want to do with the old one. If you want to set your small tank up & put fish in it immediately, wait atleast 4 weeks (longer is better) before moving the old filter back to the little tank. If you dont plan on setting the little tank back up anytime in the near future, continue to run both filters indefinitely. Extra filtration is always a big plus for a goldfish tank. Then, if you need to setup the small tank quickly, you can just move the old filter over and have an instantly cycled tank.

I am glad to hear your guy is on the mend!! Healthy water does wonders for fish. Just make sure you stay on top of your water changes (atleast 50%) to keep the water as healthy as possible. :)

We do plan on setting the old tank up with some new fish. We originally had two filters on the smaller tank. When we got the new tank it came with a new filter. So on the new tank we are running and old and a new. On the smaller tank we are running the other old filter. What I want to do is move the other old filter back and put a new, better one on the new tank.

Ok, if I am understanding you correctly, you want to add another new filter in addition to the present one on the big tank and move the old one back to the small tank in addition to the other filter on the small tank. Is this right?

Ok, I think I am confusing myself here, but priority should be making sure the goldie tank stays cycled. So, when you add the new filter to the goldie tank, put the media from the old, small filter into the new filter before removing the old, small filter to the other tank. If you want to cycle some new media in the old, small filter before moving it to the other tank, just run it for a few weeks on the goldie tank or just do a new cycle on the other tank before adding fish. As, I mentioned, the priority should be maintaining the cycle on the goldie tank by keeping most of the old media. Does this make sense?

I just checked my water and the level of nitites is about for and nitrates is rising. Should I do a water change now to keep the nitrites down or should I bet letting the nitrates catch up?

Nitrites are very toxic. You need to do water changes to bring them down under .25ppm and continue to do water changes anytime they hit .25ppm or higher. Nitrates are not as toxic but should be kept under 20ppm as well. For a moor, you really want to keep them under 10ppm because excess nitrates will burn their eyes which are quite sensitive.

Thanks. The nitrates are less then 10 , was planning on the water change just wanted to make sure. Am I correct to assume that as the ammonia is at 0 and the nitrites are now measurable that I am into the nitrite/nitrate phase of cycling? When I first moved them in the numbers were at 0. Now the nitrite is hi and nitrate is measurable.

Even though we've had this fish for 3 years, after reading all this info, I am surprised I have managed to keep them alive. He was initially in a 2.5 gallon with no filter, then moved to a 5 then 15 , at which point we introduced the moor.( who incidently brought with him ich which the goldfish had to be treated for). I had never tested the water, although I do imagine the few times it was cloudy was probably bacteria bloom. I rinsed and scrubbed the filters in tap water then replaced the media at the same time. They have survived all of this, but with him falling ill I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks. The nitrates are less then 10 , was planning on the water change just wanted to make sure. Am I correct to assume that as the ammonia is at 0 and the nitrites are now measurable that I am into the nitrite/nitrate phase of cycling? When I first moved them in the numbers were at 0. Now the nitrite is hi and nitrate is measurable.

Even though we've had this fish for 3 years, after reading all this info, I am surprised I have managed to keep them alive. He was initially in a 2.5 gallon with no filter, then moved to a 5 then 15 , at which point we introduced the moor.( who incidently brought with him ich which the goldfish had to be treated for). I had never tested the water, although I do imagine the few times it was cloudy was probably bacteria bloom. I rinsed and scrubbed the filters in tap water then replaced the media at the same time. They have survived all of this, but with him falling ill I want to make sure I do it right.

Yep, it sounds like your entering the nitrite>nitrate phase! Just keep your nitrites well under control and keep an eye on your ammonia as well. Newly cycling/cycled tanks can be a bit tempermental and sometimes theres fluctuations. :)

One more question, which I already asked but want to clarify. If I were to move the media from the old filter into the new filter, would it be ok to take out the old filter and replace it with the newest ( bio wheel filter) ? I don't want to set the tank back, but I want the filter that will be on the tank to start building up good bacteria , too.

And we have the 15 gallon set up but need to cycle it. How can I do that , if I am still using the media in the new tank? She wants to get glofish and maybe another type of small fish. We do have a filter running but all readings are at zero for that tank.

Thanks again for all your help.

Just add the old media to the new filter to keep the goldie tank's cycle moving forward. Your best option for the small tank is simply to do a fishless cycle on it. You just need to add an ammonia source to get things started because its already setup and has a filter. Or opt for a fish-in cycle and add a few small fish if your ok with doing water changes & daily testing on two tanks at the same time. Heres more info on fishless cycling: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

So it's be a month and a half. The black moor is doing well some regrowth seems to be filling his tail in a bit. The new tank has a 7.4 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates at about 10. That said , the goldfish appears to have some fraying on his tail but only the top half. Could this be the same prob ? And if so what now if the water is good. Temp is about 76. And there is some salt. I will post pic as soon as I can.

This is the still photo, best i could get now. will try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 45
Thanks! He looks happy and quite active and your numbers look good! I can see he has a bit of fraying starting on the top of his caudal fin. It does not look seriously infected yet but unfortunately, fin rot infections can be tricky and progress quite quickly depending on the type bacteria. Has this been very gradual or does it seem to be getting worse/fraying quickly? If so, I would opt to treat to stop the infection before it progresses any further.Then he will just need time & healthy water for it to regrow. It should regrow completely because it does not have bad damage yet. Good luck!

What should I treat with? It seems to have just come on and I haven't noticed a much change in it since I first saw it.

What did you use for the moor? I believe I suggested Maracyn Plus or Maracyn2- same would work here. Theres some others that are not as strong (Furan2 or Triple Sulfa) that would likely work as well because the situation isnt really bad.

With him I used Melafix and Pimafix for three - four days then moved him two new tank. No meds at that point and he responded well.

Back
Top Bottom