Fins falling off??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrielynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am not an avid aquarium keeper, nor do I have any exceptional knowledge on fish or how to keep an aquarium. I do, however, want to be a responsible fish owner and do everything I can to keep my little guy healthy. I got Pascal, a small goldfish, from a carnival a few weeks ago. I know these fish can tend to be unhealthy, but I would still like to bring him back to health if possible. Recently, I bought him a gallon fish bowl, some aquarium rocks, and small decorative castle. This was about a week after I got him. Since being in his new habitat, his fins have slowly been coming off, starting with the skin around it and then the bones falling off after wards. I was very concerned about this, so I took the castle out thinking that he might be hurting himself on it. But his fins are continuing to fall off.... I got some medicine from the store to help heal open fish wounds, and used it properly, but his fins are still coming off. I can't remember the exact brands, but it was to heal fish infection. His food is just standard large goldfish flakes. Please tell me if there's anything I can do... so far the top half of his back fin is gone, his top fin is gone, and now there's and big reddish brown spot on one of his gills.

I am not an avid aquarium keeper, nor do I have any exceptional knowledge on fish or how to keep an aquarium. I do, however, want to be a responsible fish owner and do everything I can to keep my little guy healthy. I got Pascal, a small goldfish, from a carnival a few weeks ago. I know these fish can tend to be unhealthy, but I would still like to bring him back to health if possible. Recently, I bought him a gallon fish bowl, some aquarium rocks, and small decorative castle. This was about a week after I got him. Since being in his new habitat, his fins have slowly been coming off, starting with the skin around it and then the bones falling off after wards. I was very concerned about this, so I took the castle out thinking that he might be hurting himself on it. But his fins are continuing to fall off.... I got some medicine from the store to help heal open fish wounds, and used it properly, but his fins are still coming off. I can't remember the exact brands, but it was to heal fish infection. His food is just standard large goldfish flakes. Please tell me if there's anything I can do... so far the top half of his back fin is gone, his top fin is gone, and now there's and big reddish brown spot on one of his gills.
Do research on fin rot. Research cycling a tank. Change water daily if not more. If all you have is a bowl (no filter), your fish is swimming in a sewer.

I will definitely do that. Is it possible for his fins to grow back?

You need an antibiotic and ideally a bigger tank. I think I read that Maracyn combo is the best for fin rot. People do keep them in fish bowls but they don't live as long and need more care. A filter is important too.

Back
Top Bottom