Fire eel + Black calvus = ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, So I got a tank from a friend a few weeks ago. It's 55g (regular dimensions) and I've had it up and running for about a week, right now I have 2 picus cats, a featherfin cat, and a fire eel who's about 1 and 1/2 to 2 feet (they came with the tank). The picus cats are about 4 inches long and the featherfined cat is about 3 inches long. I was wanting to get some Black Calvus from a breeder by my house but I am kinda skeptical because the calvuses are about 2 inches long. That size + fire eel is kinda sketchy but I have pretty much raised the fire eel along side with my friend and when he got the picus cats and featherfined cat they were small, but not that small.

He has never feed the fire eel live fish and has always hand feed it freeze dried shrimp and the fire eel has never tried to go after the other catfish in the tank ever.

Would I be risking too much by getting the calvuses with the fire eel, being they would probably fit inside his mouth quite easily but he has never shown any aggression twards smaller fish even thought he is a predator and could still go after them?

Or do you think I would be good seeing the fire eel has never been exposed to live food and seems like he would be good with them because their are other fish in the tank with him?

Calvus need hard, alkaline water, the fire eel and pictus cats wouldn't like that one bit. You could keep 2 calvus in a 20L or 29 w/out any problem, but the fire eel is going to outgrow the 55.

Back
Top Bottom