Fire eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to get a 30 gallon tank soon and I was going to convert it to a SW until I came across a fire eel, now I'm debating to put my African featherfin catfish and African leaf fish with possibly a marble angelfish in the 30 gallon and put the fire eel in the 55 gallon, and I would add back the leaf, cat, and angel back to the tank when other fish pass on or when I sell the other fish( when they get to big) would this be a good idea? And does anyone have any info on the fire eel?

Or should I get a discus instead I'm torn between the two

I don't know much about fire eels as i have never kept one but i hope to get one soon. I know they can get very big so i probably wouldn't want it in with anything it could eat or injure. That being said i probably wouldn't put a discus in with one or any fish i would really worry about if anything were to happen because of the price they cost :p i would probably try more hardy aggressive or semi aggressive fish. Maybe not angels either because the long fins i would think they'd get nipped at but im not to sure.

I searched up fire eel info and this is everything that came up

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&r...41338691&qsubts=1366136021856&q=fire+eel+info

I read that fire eels won't harm angels and I have a bgk now and I hopefully plan on buying a bigger tank in a year or so ( need to find room) but if worst comes to worse I will sell my ghost knife when he is bigger

A 55 is way to small for a fire eel. Also they are very hard fish to keep. I have had 2 in the past and both have died while trying to escape my tank. My 18" fire eel moved a 5lb weight that was on my lid. Just to give you an idea here is an 18" fire eel in a 55g. I had to house him in there for a couple days while I moved his other tank.

I know you say you "plan" on buying a bigger tank but I would suggest doing so first. A full grown fire eel needs a bare minimum of a 180g, 240+ is recommended as they reach 36".

Back
Top Bottom