Fire mouths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there today I went out and got two young firemouths I was warned not to put them in with my community but I went for it there doing great there really peaceful fish in my opinion just out of curiosity does any one here have firemouths ? Any tips on them thanks :)

If you have a pair of firemouths and they breed they will destroy your tank through parental instinct alone.
You may be getting away with them in a community tank for now but it won't last.As they mature they will become more aggressive and kill your other fish.Im not trying to be negative just some basic advice.

Thanks both fire mouths are male I think if I have any problems I can move them to my new tank later on down the line :)

Most firemouths are all bark and no bite, they're very low on the aggression scale for most new worlds. Ou didn't mention what your community consists of or what size tank tank you have so we really can't help without that information. But I can say my firemouths are huge babies that run from their own shadow, the conspecific aggression is a little higher but that's the extent I'm most cases.

At the size your describing sexing them is next to impossible.

Lol when I was buying them I watched them
For about 20 mins . They where both showing characteristics of males as they where showing sexual behaviour towards the other firemouths . In my 4 ft tank I have 1 angel , 1 Bala use to have 3 :( , 3cory cats , 2 glass cats , bgkf ,large pleco, 2 firemouths and 3 red line barbs the firemouths don't bother with the other fish let alone each other they would rather swim around the bog wood :)

I don't know what behavior your describing but if it's gill flaring I can assure you that females flare just as often as males. These fish do not reach sexual maturity until 14-18 months on average which puts the fish over 3-3.5", so I would be curious to know what your seeing.

Sorry I do believe I have been told different info from the pet store ;) I seen the firemouths kinda rubbing against the other ones then banging there tails together it might of been just dominant behaviour or a dispute over territory maybe ?

I have 2 myself in with the rest of my cichlids and they have done great for 6 months!

I will in two weeks... On an internship away from them at the moment. I got them at about 1.5 inches they are now 3.5 to 4 and they are with 6 others that are between 4 to 6 inches

HUKIT said:
Most firemouths are all bark and no bite, they're very low on the aggression scale for most new worlds. Ou didn't mention what your community consists of or what size tank tank you have so we really can't help without that information. But I can say my firemouths are huge babies that run from their own shadow, the conspecific aggression is a little higher but that's the extent I'm most cases.

At the size your describing sexing them is next to impossible.

This is what I've seen as well. Firemouths can be a little nippy and flare their throats, but I've found them to be pretty easy going. They killed some neon tetras on me awhile back, but leave everything else alone.

5x5 said:
This is what I've seen as well. Firemouths can be a little nippy and flare their throats, but I've found them to be pretty easy going. They killed some neon tetras on me awhile back, but leave everything else alone.

My two just flare now and again they prefer to just rummage threw the gravel :)

Here are my 2 firemouths . I loce tem had them for almost 7 months now

Attachments

• image-523541758.jpg
    image-523541758.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1017495981.jpg
    image-1017495981.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom