Firemouth cichlids (Colorado only)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So it has come time for us to part with our firemouth cichlid fry.

A little information for you on these guys.

They are now 7 months old and starting to get their adult colors. They are still unsexable at this time so what you see is what you get. The parents are on site to give you an idea of what they might look like in a few months. These fry have been raised on various types of food from frozen to flake to pellet to live. (they are partial to Wardleys Shrimp pellets) They are hormone free. Our joke is that they are organic :) Meaning that most commercial fish breeders find a way to inject hormones into their fish for better colors at the LFS. Our's are pure. The parents might have had this done to them, but the little piglets sure as heck didn't. These guys are very healthy and happy.

At this size, they should not be placed in a tank with more aggressive fish, or larger fish. They wouldn't fair well. They are still babies after all. They are already showing signs of finding who's the dominant one in the school.

We are only offering these to folks in Colorado. You will have to bring your own container. I don't want to deal with the weather fluctuations we've been having or stress them since they are young.

We're asking $2.00 each for AA members. I will probably give a multi-discount for 4 or more.

Attachments

• IMG_3110.JPG
    IMG_3110.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3113.JPG
    IMG_3113.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 62
How mean are they? Do they eat little fish?
Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure it is the perfect fish.

No problem with questions. I'd rather you sort out if they're right for you before hand than after wards.

If it fits in their mouth, they will eat it.

As for aggression, it really depends on the fish. These kidlets are little snots, just like their parents. The parents were in a 120g and had 2 jack dempseys, 2 jewel cichlids, 3 pictus cats and 2 synodontis cats cornered. They worked as a pair instead of one on one. Mind you, this was worse when spawning time came around. Some folks will tell you they are mildly aggressive, some will tell you they had/have roughly the same experience that we did. I can't guarantee you that they will be either mild or mean.

The only time the parents uproot is when they are moving the wigglers around to new holes. They spit the wigglers into the roots to help hide them.

However, they do like to dig some. The fry have a sand bottomed tank and love to make little holes.

So they would be fine in a planted tank but there would be some uprooted plants here and there? Would they eat baby snails?

Like I said, the only time they've uprooted was with wigglers. They conceivably could uproot plants just for the heck of it.

Sadly, the baby snails would be dinner. These piglets devoured a colony of MTS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom