Firemouth cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been doing A LOT of research. Firemouth's will they co exist with my convicts? Did I read right? Yes they will? Same size of course. Want to pick up a pair from the LFS today.

They coexist very well in my experience. I have one con and one firemouth and they even try to breed

Thanks for your reply... Would a pair work well? I have 3 convicts a friend gave me. And now a bristlenose. Or should I add another convict. And same size or close to is a good idea correct...

It's really up to on what you add depending on the size of the tank. A pair would be fine IMO. and as close to the same size as possible is always the best way to go. I'm guessing they'll probably develop their own territory and live separately from your cons considering the convicts already have established territory. If it were me I'd just do a convict only tank. It would work the best with little to no hassle but it's up to you

Convicts and Firemouths are generally very compatible fish. I've had them peacefully co-exist in the past with 1 of each.

In my experience, the convict is typically the more aggressive of the two and if you have breeding taking place, you'll need to be real careful. In that case you might even need a tank separator until the fry are removed.

If I were you I would get rid of one of the convicts and get a pair of FMs.
Like some people have said, two cons will pair up and the other will probably get killed. Wait till you can sex them because you don't want to end up with two males.

Back
Top Bottom