Firemouth cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi just thought I would post to say I have 4 lovely firemouth cichlids. Hopefully I will get a pair and I can remove the others.

The biggest is approx 2.5 inches at the moment and I have a 47 gallon tank with plenty of hiding spots. Had them for a few days now and they are still a little skittish but are starting to get used to me. I'm hoping they will pair up before any aggression starts or gets out of hand.

It's not your conventional setup but here is a pick.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392065623.236006.jpg

It's looking good! I hope you will get a pair soon and you can begin breeding firemouths it's very exciting and they look great with spawning colors.

What size tank is that? I like the set up. Firemouths are my favorite fish. I currently have a pair of fire mouths and about 20 fry left. They are really interesting spawners. I told people I think my pair is a getting a divorce and a few days later they have eggs. My Male acted like he really really hated the female before they spawned. They dug several pits all over the tank and I have several caves and the eggs got moved every night. All of my other fish where kept cowering in the back corners of the tank by the fire mouth parents my tank is a 75 gallon.

Do you have a plan on what you are going to do with the fry. I found firemouth fry are to available so none of the shops around me wanted them.

Firemouth are still my favorite fish but had no choice but to use the fry as feeders for my other tank. Just not enough room. I actually really felt bad doing it cause I have been raising the fry for 6 months now.

What size tank is that? I like the set up. Firemouths are my favorite fish. I currently have a pair of fire mouths and about 20 fry left. They are really interesting spawners. I told people I think my pair is a getting a divorce and a few days later they have eggs. My Male acted like he really really hated the female before they spawned. They dug several pits all over the tank and I have several caves and the eggs got moved every night. All of my other fish where kept cowering in the back corners of the tank by the fire mouth parents my tank is a 75 gallon.

Do you have a plan on what you are going to do with the fry. I found firemouth fry are to available so none of the shops around me wanted them.

Firemouth are still my favorite fish but had no choice but to use the fry as feeders for my other tank. Just not enough room. I actually really felt bad doing it cause I have been raising the fry for 6 months now.

Well its a 47 gallon. It's really not big enough to house a community and I don't have the filtration to support it either. There are a number of fish shops around one of which I'm sure will take the fry in but failing that, if it gets out of hand I will remove one and have it as a centre piece and build round it. Or have a species only tank with dwarf cichlids.

What do other people do?

Thanks to both. Though the tank looks pretty naff compared to some I've seen but it's the best I could do. I can't seem to find the slate most seem to have and I'm a bit wary adding more weight as my other tank is on the other side of the wall.

There's actually a little channel around the big rock made from the pebbles and the love going round that.

They are very shy at the moment lol but I guess it's in their nature.

In a couple weeks the firemouths will warm up to you and will be out scavenging and cruising around the tank all the time.

I would forget any more rocks and add a large piece of drift wood in the back.

In a couple weeks the firemouths will warm up to you and will be out scavenging and cruising around the tank all the time.

Can't wait. My other tank is now on the up, recovering from a bout of columnaris. For the first time in a while I actually feel good about my tanks
:D lets have a look at your tanks :)

I have a terrible camera it's just my iPod camera but I can show you them I guess they are just low quality photos.

I would forget any more rocks and add a large piece of drift wood in the back.

What kind? This may sound pretty stupid but does it just float on top? It's not a bad idea. Why do people use it though? I've seen driftwood discussions on her lots of times. So the fish really appreciate it?

Once it get water logged it will sink. Most sa ca tanks use drift wood to help lower ph and mimic the natural surrounding. and it looks cool.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392072097.709068.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392072130.351189.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392072168.551463.jpg

I know the pics are bad but low quality cam... But that's my 75 gallon

Thanks I wish I had a better camera to make show the true beauty of the fish instead of blurry crap oh well. Haha

Once it get water logged it will sink. Most sa ca tanks use drift wood to help lower ph and mimic the natural surrounding. and it looks cool.

Yeh I did have a piece of bog wood and I use it in my community but it was an odd shape. Cost me £30 and now it's in the loft lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom