Firemouth sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone please let me know what is on my fire mouth?

I added new tetra to my tank, that I did not quarantine first, on Saturday night. Realized Sunday that they had ich. Did water change. Yesterday the fire mouth look like he had ich. I have been doing water changes, added salt and raised the heat.

This is what I woke up to today.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419942458.636276.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419942472.487284.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi JF

When trying to help diagnose ailments it's best to provide as much information on your tank as possible.

Tell us about the size, temperature, filtration, current stock feeding and most importantly your water parameters for ammonia nitrite and nitrate.

How long as the tank been set up?.

Has it been cycled.

Currently this looks like some kind of fungus. The neons could have been carrying other disease as a result of the ich.

For me personally I would not use medications yet unless I knew there was no underlying stress factor within my tank that could leave me fish susceptible to disease and unable to fight it off on it's own. I would tackle the ich first accompanied by large water changes to ensure the environment is clean and stress free.

Raising temp normally works for ich but I am unsure on the recommended temperature as I have never had to deal with it. You need to vacuum the substrate frequently too to collect the eggs before they hatch and become free swimming.

Adding salt for me personally is not something I would recommend as you will be forcing the fishes already compromised system to work harder to regulate the change in salts internal and external to it's body which require energy that would be best used to fight the infection. Adding salt may actually have sped up the rate of infection.

Keep the water pristine and deal with the ich. The fungus may go away on it's own. If not it's time for meds. Someone else will have to chime in here as I am not familiar with US medications.

Tank cycled. Temperature is currently up to 82, was at 79.

Ammonia and nitrites are at zero. Ph was at 7. nitrates look high, but I cannot recall the amount from last night.

Tank is 125g with young fire mouths (2), severum, gt, and black convict.

That fire mouth looks like it had issues well before you added the neons. My best guess would be some kind of fungal infection do to poor water quality.

Back
Top Bottom