Firemouths and green terror/ jack dempsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
id be afraid to... Green terrors are pretty aggressive (hence the name), so are jd's (once again, hence the name)... Firemouths seem to be one of the less aggressive cichlids.. You could put the jd's and green terrors together, but id be afraid of putting firemouths in with them

ive done it, actually my dads new 200 hundred gallon has my three jacks(mom, dad, and son), a green terror, a firemouth, a oscar, plus two Africans. no aggression in the tank at all. i had a green terror, a firemouth and four jacks in a 50 gallon, but the jack wer eventually split into mating pairs and put in seperate tanks.

It is a toss up . I couldn't reccomend the JD with either a GT or firemouths but firemouths & terrors are usually ok together. I have kept alot of both of those species & it usually works out ok. It really depends on the temperament of each individual fish though. I have had terrors that beat up firemouths & I have had firemouths that beat up on the terrors. All you can really do is try them out & see how it goes but be ready to remove one or the other if it doesn't settle down well. You will need to start them out together at about the same size though or it just won't have a chance of working. If the firemouth is considerably smaller than the terror it will just get eaten or beaten to death. The choice is yours but as I said be prepared to remove one or the other.

We have 2 JD's and 2 Firemouths in our 55 along with 1 jewel. The only "face offs" are between the 2 firemouths and the jewel. No real fighting or anything, they just flare out at each other and then the firemouths swim off to their rock.

But I agree that the green terrors are very aggressive. I was going to get those instead of the firemouths but saw how they were beating up oscars twice their size at the LFS.

Also agreed that it is a toss up. Each fish is an individual, just like us. No telling what can happen. Just make sure you have enough places where everyone can have territory and try it out. You should be able to take any aggressors back to the LFS for trade.

Back
Top Bottom