Fireshrimp died within 2hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilly

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought my shrimp from the LFS. It suddenly died in my tank within 2hours. I dont know if i can get the refund but im so pissed now. My water levels are ok. Just did a water change a day ago and my cleaner shrimp was ok. What could be wrong?

I'm a FW tank owner, but maybe stress from the transfer? Don't inverts require a specific, slow acclimation process also?

No refund, 2 hours after the purchase? That doesn't seem likely; have you called the lfs?

If the specimen looked good in the store and at the start of acclimation then I would also blame the process on the untimely demise. Did you drip? Did you acclimate slowly? Over how long? What were the parameters (pH and SG) at the start of the acclimation process? At the end of it? I always test my parameters at the start and end of the process (ph meter and refractomer make these tasks really easy) to make sure that the specimen is acclimated slowly enough for the change in parameters as well as to make sure that the parameters match before the specimen is put into the tank.

What are the specific numbers for your SG, Ammo, Trite and Trate?

I've heard that these are hard shrimps to get to live. I personally don't know. I know none of my LFS gives a refund regardless of how long you've had it.

I agree, given the timeline I would contribute the death to the acclimation proceedure. How did you acclimate? What are your current parameters?

shrimps are tough....many die right away....this is normal.

check your nitrates often. add iodide so they can molt.

:? are you certain that he didn't molt after his introduction? i thought mine died when he didn't.

my nitrates are a bit over average. But my fishes and other shrimps have no problems living. Its just weird it died so fast

check your nitrates often. add iodide so they can molt.
NO3 can be an issue with inverts. I would be very leary of adding iodine unless you are testing for it. Some invets do require this in small amounts to promot molting but regular and frequent water changes can keep levels up where they need to be. It is not good practice to add anything to your tank that you do not test for.

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth here. It's due to acclimation. I killed my first 2 peppermint shrimps by only acclimating for just over an hour. After , what I thought was a good enough time for acclimation, my shrimps died in 2 hours. All water params were perfect. I went back to the LFS and purchased 2 more shrimp.
But, this time I acclimated them with a slow drip for 4 hours. This was 2 months ago and my shrimp are still fine to this day!
Inverts are very sensitive to salinity changes, especially rapid ones in my case. I tested the LFS water with the shrimps in it, the SG was 1.020. My tank is at 1.025. The slow drip and acclimation took four hours cause I wanted the water the shrimp were in to match the exact temperature and SG of my tank.

4 hours may seem a bit excessive, but I didn't want to do another 3 hour round trip to my closest not so Local Fish Store!

HTH

good call, lando -- thanks.

sorry to hear about the shrimp. i'm concerned about my fire shrimp too but he's hanging in there just fine.

my aquarium guy says that they either last or just don't. i've been feeding a variety of foods and he seems to steal all of them....pretty comical, he'll sneak out and snag them from the fish and go hide....get a kick out of it.

get another one soon -- Smo's gig is good too. think that i drip acclimated mine. want to get a starfish but afraid this will happen.

Back
Top Bottom