First 55 setup. Upgrading. Advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I've been really excited about this upgrade. An the time is finally here. I'm on a pretty tight budget though so the cheapest setup would be great.

I'm building a hood for it with treated wood and plexi glass, so how can I go about low lighting?

Also I have a aqua clear 50. Is that enough filtration?

What can Ido to speed up the cycle. I was thinking of doing a fish in cycle

Thanks guys

You should be able to pick up a fairly inexpensive florescent light fixture from any home improvement store or even walmart.

Hope you'll share pics with us as you build.

You should be able to pick up a fairly inexpensive florescent light fixture from any home improvement store or even walmart. Hope you'll share pics with us as you build.
I was thinking about getting those lights. I've seen them before, but wasn't sure if they are effective. Do you currently use them?
And I definitely will!

What is your intended stock? Also what is your goal for the tank?
a school of 15 tiger barbs and a pair of blue rams, maybe a bottom dweller of some sort. Low lit but well planted. I was thinking black gravel. Or maybe sand, but not sure of the troubles behind having sand. I plan on making a bunch of dyi caves, using pieces Of slates.

I've never used them myself, but know several who have. You can put some decent quality bulbs in there depending on what amount of lighting you need.

I've never used them myself, but know several who have. You can put some decent quality bulbs in there depending on what amount of lighting you need.
that's good to know, thank you. What should I measure light by? X amount of light/gallon ? For low lighting plants.

What plants you can grow will depend on how many watts per gallon your light produces. There are lots of complicated explanations on the topic, but essentially it the bowl has a light with it look at how many watts each bulb puts out. Divide the number of watts by the number of gallons (you said you think its a 2 gallon) equals watts per gallon.

I'm going to try out 2 of the flourescent lights from Walmart. But I'm still stumped on my substrate. I found these bit I am not too sure.

Attachments

• image-1571395119.jpg
    image-1571395119.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 59
Watts per gallon is only good for Fluorescent lighting/bulbs. Newer lighting like Leds, T5HO'S, etc., all go par. The par will determine if you have low/med/high light.

What is the price of them per fixture because depending on what 2-3 add up to you might be able to get a single fixture Led for the same price.

Watts per gallon is only good for Fluorescent lighting/bulbs. Newer lighting like Leds, T5HO'S, etc., all go par. The par will determine if you have low/med/high light.
what would be the cheapest low lighting setup I could get going in your opinion?
Edit: the fluorescent bulb are 24w I believe. At 10$ a piece

Fluorescent bulbs are usually always going to be your cheapest options. I know you can get cheaper 2 bulb T5HO fixtures. Don't use them but Bud29 can give you that info. Brian_Nano12g can give you info on the best Led's and general prices. Many people also use dome shop light fixtures with CFL 6500K bulbs in them which work very well and are reasonably priced.

Fluorescent bulbs are usually always going to be your cheapest options. I know you can get cheaper 2 bulb T5HO fixtures. Don't use them but Bud29 can give you that info. Brian_Nano12g can give you info on the best Led's and general prices. Many people also use dome shop light fixtures with CFL 6500K bulbs in them which work very well and are reasonably priced.
okay thanks, do you think I need more filtration. Info on the beginning of te thread

I run 2- 55g tanks and honestly I run a Fluval 406 canister on each tank. I'm not an HOB fan, nor do I use them normally so I'm not the best judge on how well they filter on a bigger tank. I just prefer more filtration with more media space that canisters provide especially on tanks over 30g.

Definitely go with a canister. It makes life easy. They are also quiet which I love. HOB are dependable and easy to use though

Definitely go with a canister. It makes life easy. They are also quiet which I love. HOB are dependable and easy to use though
I will take the canister into consideration. Anyone know where to find some cheap black gravel?

What should I clean the tank with? A wet sponge I was thinking? Got a bit of old algae on it.
Well it's day 1 in operation 55g :) super stoked. I'll be Sharon pictures of the hood made from cherry wood, and plexi glass at the end of the day!

Attachments

• image-1843542856.jpg
    image-1843542856.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1954319786.jpg
    image-1954319786.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2673492038.jpg
    image-2673492038.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 49
A wet sponge can work as long as it has not ever been used for anything else. If there are some water stains you can use vinegar without worry.

A wet sponge can work as long as it has not ever been used for anything else. If there are some water stains you can use vinegar without worry.
Thanks I actually have a few big water spots. So that info will come in handy!

Back
Top Bottom