first aqua clear!!!....question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallchik77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so recently switched my fish from a 55 gal to a 20 with great success! been watching the water VERY CAREFULLY because i think there might be a scoche too much bio load in there. I had a topfin power filter 60 and didn't realize just how freakin loud that thing was until we put it on the 20 gal in our room. it drove me nuts so today I bought an aquaclear and what a difference that makes!!! i just have a question....because my top fin was so obnoxious, i took a filter bag out and put in in the aquaclear on top of the filter bags that sit in there so that the water would still be running through existing bacteria. will this help seed my new filter or do i need to put the top fin back in for a couple of weeks?

What you did will definitely help seed your new filter, however make sure to keep a close eye on your water chemistry (ammonia, nitrites an nitrates) particularly since you have a high bioload and be prepared to make PWCs as needed.

As you might know, the beneficial nitrifying bacteria one is seeking to grow while cycling, live for the most part attached to surfaces, for that reason, IMO, what you did of having the cartdridge of the old filter in physical contact with the new one is the best way to establish the new bacterial colony (specially since it sounds like you just wanted the other noisy filter off)

I have a marineland and rena filter myself but I always hear great things about the aquaclear, I've heard many people claim it's the best HOB they've ever had, just keep an eye on that bioload.

thank you very much!!! always good to hear some reassurance. definitely keeping an eye on the water. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom