First aquarium in my life, lots of question, please help^_^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piggypinggy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I just spent 3 weeks to do fishless cycling for my first 10galon tank in my life.
I got few plants and six galaxy fish today
I love them very much ^_^
But I have got few questions,

1. Can I add more fish? I saw most people say, a 10g tank can hold around six small fishes..... but the boss of the aquarium shop told me, I can start with six fish, and then after few weeks, I can add more fish, maybe 10-20 fishes.. Is that okay?
*** What he teaches me is little bit different from what I see on the internet. But the aquarium shop I went is the best local shop in my area. Everyone recommends me to go there, so I just want to ask, is the boss lying? only because he wants me to buy more fishes???? He spent two hours to teach me how to do fishless cycling and set up my tank.... Thanks~^_^

you can definitely not add 10-20 fish. are you talking about galaxy rasboras? they are pretty small and have a small bioload. i would suggest adding some corydoras pygmeus and a dwarf gourami. have you heard of aqadvisor.com? its a good general reference for stocking options. i types in 6 galaxy rasboras, 5 pygmy cories and one dwarf gourami and you would be at 86% stock. imo you wouldn't need any more fish, a 10 gallon is far too small

Hi guys,
I just spent 3 weeks to do fishless cycling for my first 10galon tank in my life.
I got few plants and six galaxy fish today
I love them very much ^_^
But I have got few questions,

1. Can I add more fish? I saw most people say, a 10g tank can hold around six small fishes..... but the boss of the aquarium shop told me, I can start with six fish, and then after few weeks, I can add more fish, maybe 10-20 fishes.. Is that okay?
*** What he teaches me is little bit different from what I see on the internet. But the aquarium shop I went is the best local shop in my area. Everyone recommends me to go there, so I just want to ask, is the boss lying? only because he wants me to buy more fishes???? He spent two hours to teach me how to do fishless cycling and set up my tank.... Thanks~^_^

Well I don't know what kind of fish those are but I don't thin a petstore owner would lie. But good luck with the hobby ^.^ if I new more about the fish I would try to help more =\

Congrats on your first tank. I'm most likely not much help on answering your question tho as I'm also on my first tank as well but went a bit bigger with a 140 gallon tank. I would say it is probably a good sign that the fish store recommend a fishless cycle, not always the case but usually seems to be. That being said my opinion, keep in mind I'm new at this also, is that 10-20 fish in a 10gal tank is probably to many. It most likely can be done with proper filtration and maintenance but less then 10 might be better.

Well I don't know what kind of fish those are but I don't thin a petstore owner would lie. But good luck with the hobby ^.^ if I new more about the fish I would try to help more =\

Yes, LFS owners lie all the time. They arent there to make friends. They are there to run a business and pay their bills. You will meet a few who arw die hard and never have stock because they dont wanna overstock their tanks but those are 1 in a million

OK, folks, enough on the LFS.

To answer the question, corys and dwarf gourami sound like a good idea. You may need to be careful as the gouramis can get irritated with the rasboras and shread their fins. Stick with small corys, panda or dwarfs if you can find them. They make a great clean up crew and add motion to the bottom of the tank. As for gouramis, go with the power blue dwarfs. Get two females to avoid a problem.

Now the LFS people don't typically have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to live stock. Keep in mind they move fish in and out as fast as possible so they don't really see what would happen if they held them for more than a week or two in an over crowded tank as suggested. Also keep in mind they are dealing with larger numbers of different fish and tend not to be long-term fish keepers like folks on the forum. I highly recommend that before you purchase a fish research it thoroughly and know what your getting into. For the most part people on the forums know a lot and can tell you the pit falls. They are not always 100% correct-(All you crayfish haters)-but in most cases several folks will comment and you can go with what the majority says.

Thank you so much guys.
Yes, my fishes are galaxy rasboras.
Really thanks for everyone's suggestion.
I need some time to read it because I'm not English speaker.
I will reply if I have more question.
Really thanks :D love u all

One question please, why are Corydoras and Dwarf Gourami are good choice? :D

Is Corydoras = pygmy cories?
THANKS>_<!!!!

THANKS>_<!!!!

there are tons of gourami and corydoras species, but these the dwarf and pygmies are the only ones suitable for a 10 gallon tank. most fish need more swimming space

THANKS>_<!!!!

Pygmy corys are one breed of corydoras. You could potentially put different species than just the pygmys in the 10g tanks. Personally, I prefer to have panda corys myself.

The dwarf gouramis are a very good choice for a small aquarium although I would only get a single one for an aquarium that size. Go with one male and skip females otherwise it could get a little cramped for them.

I have been doing this along time and I am just now realizing the joys of an under stocked tank. With your 6 fish in 10 gallon yes you can add more but why do so. its nice to give the fish plenty of room to swim and enjoy what you have.

I now enjoy my under stocked 75 and 20 long. Its much more peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom