First Coral - How does he look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
I run them high because I don't run reactors so it would either be dose twice a week to keep at good levels or raise slightly higher to go weekly dosing..I'm pretty heavily stocked on corals and will go from 480-500 ppm to 350ish range in a week. Pretty much just saying I really really need a reactor haha

Edit* and slightly higher alk will increase the calcium intake. I know of some hard core reefers running close to 14dkh while testing heavily but get AMAZING growth

Just because the higher levels are in the water, does not mean that the corals will build any faster, IMO. They can only process these things at a fixed rate.
I would think that your corals could be suffering from the weekly roller coaster of Alk and Ca too, but not trying to tell you how to run your tank. To each his own.
I'm also in need of a couple dosers!! Tired of the daily chore of manually dosing.
Good luck with your tank Mrc.

The higher levels of alkalinty have been proven to increase growth but the closer you run it on the edge the easier to have a major fail but I totally agree with you on the rollercoaster ride they've been on but as long as I don't allow them to fall to low or raise to high I haven't had any issues and actually am getting great growth out of my sps frags since going from 9dkh to 11dkh. As always though mostly just my opinion and like you said to each his own so I'm not here to tell anyone to fix what's not broken just chiming in with my own experiences so best of luck to you too and also you OP hope all goes well

Update and A Question

I came home from work last night and tested my water. To my surprise my nitrates jumped up to about 20ppm.

I did a 20% water change and went to bed.

Woke up this morning tested my water and here are the results.

PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: >20ppm

I've attached a picture of the test.

Should I do another water change? I know nitrates are bad for coral and inverts is this going to kill them? I am currently mixing salt to do another water change if needed?

Why would I have nitrate after a water change?

Coral seems to be doing ok.

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

What is your feeding schedule and trates that high aren't good but not deadly

Not feeding anything.

No fish yet.

They come today. Which now I am very nervous about.

If so then I would just do a back to back 50% or larger wc bringing you to 5 or lower trates before you recieve the fish.. sorry if you've said this before but are you running a skimmer and what other filtration are you using? A skimmer will keep your trates down by removing the organics before the nitrification process has a chance begin

Just started running my skimmer yesterday.

Filtration consist of live rock, chemi-pure elite, and blue bonded sponge. I am waiting for my refugium light to come in the mail then I will be adding chaeto.

So mechanical filtration is what just your sock from overflow and sponge? All these things should be cleaned frequently to remove any "waste" that is stuck in it to keep from raising nitrates. The key to a thriving reef imo is water parameters so stay on top of em and all should go smoothly for you.

Mechanical is the blue bonded sponge. Directly under the overflow. I will clean it out (doesn't look to bad though) do a water change and update.

Right now it probably doesn't need cleaned honestly my guess is that your trates are left over from your cycle but once you begin feeding its a must if you wish to keep corals also for now though is say just do the wc and go from there..what is your stock list gonna be

I am receiving 2 true percs (small) today. Other then that the green torch and some hermits.

I will be taking it slow from this point on with stock.

Next will be a xenia, and maybe a mushroom or 2.

I'd say that's a good plan do you have any idea on what your final stock would be

Fish : 2 clowns, green clown goby, shrimp goby, and maybe catalina goby. I will only be doing clowns and goby.

Inverts: 5 hermits (now) maybe a shrimp later on.

Coral: Torch, xenia, ricordea, polyp colony, and maybe a tree coral.

This is my first coral tank and want to stick to the beginner coral.

First things first catalina goby was number one on my list until I found out you have to maintain close to 68 degree waters since they live off the coast of California so you'll have to scratch that unfortunately and for the corals just because your a beginner don't let that steer you away from lps corals some are very easy to care for and are very colorful

Yea. I like the hammer coral. I might have to get one.

Bye Bye Catalina:)

If you like the catlina maybe look into a yasha haze goby. It will pair with a shrimp too

Mrc8858 said:
It all kinda depends on what your keeping really. A sps dominant tank will need different requirements then a softy tank but a good range imo is 480 ppm calcium 11dkh alkalinity (some may consider high) and close to 1400 ppm magnesium

Dang, my alkalinity is like 4-4.5...

Back
Top Bottom