First fish in tank - 5 out of 6 ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranicrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! We finally got our first fish - white cloud minnows today - 5 of them are exploring the tank but one is just hanging out on the driftwood and not moving much - attached two photos but they are kind of hard to see. I am not sure if it is just more stressed than the others or if it is laying eggs or if it is dying and I just can't tell because these are the first fish. We did a fishless cycle (2 months) and brought nitrates to 5ppm before adding fish. We added them using the bag floating method, and in the bag one of them was in the corner instead of swimming around so maybe it is the same one? Any advice?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406415586.332591.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406415623.892979.jpg

It moved off the driftwood but is now on the gravel. Just wanted to mention this is a 20 gallon planted tank, and ammonia/nitrite were at 0 ppm.

Thanks! Just so excited after waiting so long! They are so cute - exploring their new home!

Oh, no movement for a while for fish number 6...I hope the others are ok? They all seem fine - maybe the 1 was over stressed? The lights are off so I could check in the morning - but likely I should move it now just in case, right? It was moving every 20 min or so but I don't know....

You should quarantine it to be safe yes...

Dose some stress coat if you have it. Or a little AQ Salt to relax it.

No qt tank yet since these are the first fish - now we can't find it again - don't want to turn on the light and shock the other fish...which is worse?

Hmm.. I don't think the light will shock them too much. You could wait till morning however. Not sure... I would use a flash light and look around for it. The problem is at night a lot of the fish are chilling so it may be hard to tell.

Ok, the 1 didn't make it so I only have 5 - how soon can I get more? I want to have at least 6 to keep them happy!

Wait a few days for the tank to get used to the bioload of those. If you add a lot then it raises the chance of a bigger bacteria bloom

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom