First FW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far this is what I decided on:

AquStockImage.php

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 142%.
Recommended water change schedule: 38% per week

Aqadvisor does not take into account plants and aeration in the tank, so I know you can push the stock level slightly. But I wont go higher than that.

But this list will most propably change by tomorrow, so suggetstions are still open :)

Uhmm the pic isn't working can you type the stock list?
And yeah you can push it a little but I like to stay under it...there is definately no definate stocking rule. Aquaadvisor and the inch per gallon can be flawed.

Id buy a second filter to run on your tank. More surface for bacteria, more filtration, and if you need a quarantine tank or want to start a new tank you can have it ready immediately by switching the filter over

2 x Oto's
5 x Kuhli's
5 x Panda Cories
10 x Silvertip Tetra (Already in)
6 x Serpea Tetra
6 x Blue Emperor Tetra

Looks ballanced, maybe the bottom might get crowded a bit.

My current filter filters 80gal/hr and I have a 29 gal tank. So that is more than enough. Will get a sponge filter on the other end for a backup and dubble up as an aeration device.

Will do. The silvertips are already in. End next month will go for the cories, oto's and a group of tetras. Then the rest wil follow. Unless I get another idea in the mean time. It's still a long time off.

Hey! I just read something on the web that said the khulis wont uproot your plants bc they don't dig as "robustly "

Just a quick update.

Its been over a week and 0 (zero) casualties in my tank. The silvertips really are tough! Just wish they can eat all their food and not just the purple coloured flakes. Should get some corries in soon to clean up after them. Also thinking of putting 2 pairs of dwarf Guarami in in stead of a big group of tetra's. Just a thought still.

I've got some Valisneria planted. My friend was thinning his out so I got it for free. Looks slightly overplanted, but with a stronger light that should be sorted.

Also another small driftwood to attach a fern to if I can find one.

Will post some picks on as soon as I can. Starting to look really good.

My gf is actually preferring the tank to the tv. So I must be doing something right :)

I think 4 gouramis would be aggressive to each other. They're territorial. Id google it tho to be sure

I did a bit of research and they are very peacefull. The larger ones are very territorial but the dwarf specie fits in very well with tetra's and can be kept in schools even. Will just get a few to start with.

But my next buy would definitely be at least 5 panda corries and the oto's. But everywhere they try to sell 'algae eaters' in stead. Unless the don't say 'siamese algae eaters' I'm not interested.

Otos and siamese algae eaters are different fish. I wouldn't get the siamese. They can get 6inches and are aggressive as they get older

Yeah I know. But the shops I go to don't have oto's. And then they suggest 'algae-eaters' which looks a lot like Chinese Algae-eaters. That's when I just pass.

A bit of a new update again..

On Friday I couldn't wait anymore. Got 5 kuhli's and 1 gourami.

On Sunday I found 1 kuhli on his side not moving. And today the gourami also joined the big aquarium in the sky...

I think I was in a bit of a rush but I don't think the guys where 100% when I bought them. Either way I think I'll wait a bit and go get the testing kits. Still doing daily pwc's. 20% every day and 50% over a weekend.

The 10 silvertips are as chirpy as ever. Still chasing eachother around.

I managed to find a shop that have bn pleco's. Will maybe stop there next week. I wanted to get one yesterday but the owner told me its new stock and to be sure they are safe he would like to keep an eye on them for a bit longer. One of the rare few petshop owners that are more interested in the fish's health than the price. Will definately make a stop there again.

Is the bn pleco quite hardy fish or should I rather let it run a bit longer until I get the tests kits and know what I'm dealling with?

Most privately owned petshop owners are like that. And my bristlenose is hardy. I had it in while fish in cycling and its doing great. Its going to poop a lot though. I think you have driftwood in your tank which is good for them. I feed mine algae wafers and blanched veggies every now and then and it eats leftover flake.

Did you let your new fiah acclimate to the water? Or just dump em in? And id ask the pet shop you're buying from what their ph is. If its much different from your ph id drip acclimate them slowly. My pet shops ph is almost identical to mine

I let them drift in the bag for an hour or a bit longer. Taking water out and putting tank water in little bits at a time. I think I was just rushing to put them in.

But the gourami looked fine this morning. Then this afternoon it was gone. Suppose that's how it goes.

I also got a backup filter that pushes 120 gal/hr. Just need to set it up.

Does bn pleco's do fine on their own or should I rather get 2. Have no intention in breeding yet, just thinking what will keep the fish happy.

epiphysis said:
I let them drift in the bag for an hour or a bit longer. Taking water out and putting tank water in little bits at a time. I think I was just rushing to put them in.

But the gourami looked fine this morning. Then this afternoon it was gone. Suppose that's how it goes.

I also got a backup filter that pushes 120 gal/hr. Just need to set it up.

Does bn pleco's do fine on their own or should I rather get 2. Have no intention in breeding yet, just thinking what will keep the fish happy.

It will be perfectly fine by itself. Give it a couple hiding places for if it needs it. Mine will hide under my driftwood sometimes when I'm cleaning. Its a very active fish but if you have other fish that will need to eat wafers it will hog them so you'll have to put 2 wafers in.

And you're probly fine with how you acclimated them. I didn't do the drip thing for years. My last two fish I just floated the bag and dropped em in after an hour. But if the stores ph is significantly different than yours the sudden introduction can shock them.
Your tank is cycled right? Have you tested the water since they died?

Oh nvm you don't have a test kit.
I think it would be useful. And you'd be able to know when you're safe to add fish.
Be sure to add fish slowly. A few every couple weeks. Or the bioload will exceed your biofilters capacity and it wont be able to convert all the ammonia= fish death. I think that's what happened here.

Back
Top Bottom