First large fishtank, what do I do?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I ran into a deal to good to pass up, so I'm getting a fish tank 48.5x12.75x25h. (65g I think).

My question is... what the hell do I put into it? Is there anything I need to know about upgrading to such a large size? I typical like schooling fish. I'm considering putting my guppies / tetras from my 10g into it. But I'm not sure. I feel like if I'm doing a big fishtank I should do big fish too.

All suggesting welcome!

Congrats on the tank! If you really like schooling fish you can look into get bigger fish that school. Or you could add your fish from the ten and just increase the size of your schools. I always recommend going to a fish store (or three lol) and walk around, see what catches your eye. If you have a smart phone take pics of the fish you find interesting and their names, then google about them or ask around here. You will need time to cycle the tank anywas, so use that time to really research what you should stock with, and it also helps pass the time ;)

Thanks for the comment toad,

The issue I have is the nearest pet store is 30 mins and is petco. :/ So it's hard to get a starting point. I figure I'm going to have to order online for this one.

Edit: what about s school of tiger barbs or 2 angel?

I like larger schools of small fish, 20 rummynose swimming all over would be awesome.

Odessa Barbs - A Pearl Gourami - Angelfish

Definitely a group of Corydoras

You have a lot of options, look for fish that share similar temp needs.

I like larger schools of small fish, 20 rummynose swimming all over would be awesome.

Odessa Barbs - A Pearl Gourami - Angelfish

Definitely a group of Corydoras

You have a lot of options, look for fish that share similar temp needs.

That pearl gourami is beautiful! And I think if I do tetras I'd expand on the neon from my other tank.

I would love to do angel but I worry they'd eat the smaller guys. Do you think the long finned angels would work with tetras? I've read they are slower.
And should I just do one?

If you don't have any fish stores near you, go onto LiveAquaria and look around. WetSpot Tropical is a good online store to buy from. Since this is not your first tank, I am sure you are well aware your new tank will cycle. Make sure the silicone is good too. I might recommend you look at the link in my signature. I did not go from one tank to another, but I had to rebuild my tank, which was kind of like going to a brand new tank. More specifically I want you to look at what I did to jumpstart my tank cycle. Instead of my tank cycling for 6 weeks, it did it in 9 days.

Thanks for the comment toad,

The issue I have is the nearest pet store is 30 mins and is petco. :/ So it's hard to get a starting point. I figure I'm going to have to order online for this one.

Edit: what about s school of tiger barbs or 2 angel?

Tiger barbs are nice looking, but they can be brutal in my experience. Our school tank had a group that picked on everything in the tank. Like most other schooling/shoaling fish, they need large numbers.

More specifically I want you to look at what I did to jumpstart my tank cycle. Instead of my tank cycling for 6 weeks, it did it in 9 days.

Thanks! I will, I would love to get the tank up and running quickly. I know it currently has water in it and used to have fish, so I'm hoping its cycled. But I will pull from the 10 to help jumpstart things.

Tiger barbs are nice looking, but they can be brutal in my experience. Our school tank had a group that picked on everything in the tank. Like most other schooling/shoaling fish, they need large numbers.

Hmm good to know, maybe not Tiger Barbs. Any ideas on similarly sized schooling fish?

I would love to do angel but I worry they'd eat the smaller guys. Do you think the long finned angels would work with tetras? I've read they are slower.

And should I just do one?

Truthfully.... I am not Angel keeper and will leave your question to those with Angel experience.....

Rainbows are bigger schoolers. Angels may eat neons, but I've heard they can go with cardinal tetras pretty well if you get the angel young and raise it with them.

You could do tiger barbs, but be prepared to have at least 10 just so they don't act like jerks. Not with angels period. You may be able to have a semi aggressive setup, with tiger barbs, one of the slightly larger but pleasant cichlids, and maybe some sort of bottom dweller.

Orrrr..... and I would love to do this, is set up a large tank with tons of micro fish, so you could have massive schools of tiny fish lol.

My 55g stock

21 Neons
4 Roselines
1 male Pearl Gourami
2 Cory sterbai for now...keep missing them at the store
Otos
1 Farlowella vittata
IMG_3279.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpg
    IMG_3865.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the help thus far. I went to get the tank and found out the former owner can't count. I had been told there were 3 neon tetras in the tank. There are ~12 fish....and none of the are neon tetras!

Can you help identify my mystery fish? I was thinking maybe black skirt tetras and another type of tetra for the smaller one? (The larger fish is silver with two black stripes and black fins)

Also the 55 tank is not cycle.... I have a cycled 10g. What's the fastest way to help my new 55 get cycled? Temporarily Move over the filter pad? Move some water + gravel over?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20170514_070715.jpg
    20170514_070715.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170514_070652.jpg
    20170514_070652.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170513_223026.jpg
    20170513_223026.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 60
You can put about 6 guppies and in no time you will have a full tank of them.

Thanks for the help thus far. I went to get the tank and found out the former owner can't count. I had been told there were 3 neon tetras in the tank. There are ~12 fish....and none of the are neon tetras!

Can you help identify my mystery fish? I was thinking maybe black skirt tetras and another type of tetra for the smaller one? (The larger fish is silver with two black stripes and black fins)

Also the 55 tank is not cycle.... I have a cycled 10g. What's the fastest way to help my new 55 get cycled? Temporarily Move over the filter pad? Move some water + gravel over?

Thanks again!

The Black stripes are Black Neons.

The White are White Skirt Tetras

The others are Black Skirt Tetras.

I would move over the filter or at least the pad. Water doesn't hold bacteria much. If you want plants, add plenty of plants they will help too.

Read up on fish in cycling.

Click on the link in my signature and I detail how I got my tank to cycle in 9 days. It's not hard since you already have a cycled tank

Back
Top Bottom